Cell phone gps suggestion

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by rsj33733, Oct 20, 2018.

1. rsj33733

rsj33733 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    My rand mcnally tnd 740 quit working need a cell phone trucking gps replacement to help me route and give me address routing also, that I can use to get by with. till I get home and pick up a new one. I'm using an lg android 7.0 cellphone. Any suggestions will be welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Always carry a Rand McNally Road Atlas Book for situations like yours for back up. I carry Thomas Guide Map books for my area since I’m local. I still use them and I use Waze on my iPhone 8 Plus to get me by, BEWARE, Waze is not a truck route app.
    Google maps could help you too.
    I just recalled, “Truckers Path” might work for you. I hardly use it, mostly to see if scales are open or closed.

Lux Prometheus Thanks this.
  4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I'm content with the CoPilot for Truck app.

5. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Sygic truck
    Copilot truck
    Smart truck route 2

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Have you tried Sygic????

I was thinking about buying it but i see the price went up.

I tried it in the early stages when it first came out. Really liked the graphics.

7. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

It has a 14 day free trial. Yes I have tried it. Its alright. Basically its same as rand and garmin. It uses here maps. Genius maps is another one you can buy truck routing with here maps..

Sygic one thing I liked with newest update it gives you 3 routes to choose from.

I dont use any of them full time because here maps is too incomplete. I run terminal to terminal so I just run Google maps.

Sygic updates maps more than rand. If you got a spare tablet or go buy a 100$ cheap Walmart android tablet sygic is better imo. Still cheaper than a stand alone. Try the 14 days see what you think.

Sygic updates more on android. It gives the 3 routes. iOS lags behind the updates. You can join the android beta and test all future updates

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I"m thinking of buying the $110 samsung from bestbuy. I need a gps chip to watch my directvnow app for those times I'm sitting around loading and unloading. But it's 4 operating systems outdated.

I have an asus but it's 5 operating systems outdated. I can't even get the playstore to function.

Other then the bestbuy model. There's really no such thing as a cheap gps tablet. For new.

9. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Idk who you have for carrier but Samsung just released a new top line all glass 10.5in one but its not cheap. They also just released a new budget one with current OS. Samsung tab A. It's like 300 I think. Quad speakers big battery top line display.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I bought the Tab A. It was $219 from ATT. 8 inch screen and only 16 gigs but it has a modem for internet. Cost is $20 a month for unlimited internet. For whatever the unlimited is worth. lol

I actually like the size. 7 was a bit too small. 10 was a bit too big.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.