Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Get-r-Done, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Get-r-Done

Get-r-Done Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    I'm just wondering. My company does not supply us with cell phones and I get $25 per month towards my cell phone from the company(touchy subject for me). In the states pay phones are far and few between now a days and a cell phone is almost escential. My question is, do most companies out there do this or are most of you drivers being supplied cell phones or being 100% compensated for your phone bills by your companies? And which cell provider do you find you get the most bang for your buck? Also, I am a company driver not an O/O so I don't think this is a tax right off for me! Thankyou for reading my post, your comments would be apprieciated. Get-r :biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    I do not drive full time, but I use my phone, and do not get re-imbursed.

I could, but it is too much fuss to break down every bill for work/personal. I do not use it that much at work.

Pamela1990 and Tam_Tam Thank this.
  4. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have yet to work for a company that either supplies or reimburses for a cell.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. bulldozerbert

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    I would not complain about the $25, lest you loose that as well,lol

Pamela1990 and MIT Thank this.
  6. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB
    I get $30/month towards my cell phone. However, I don't go south, so that isn't an issue for me. A friend of mine from the company I used to work at stopped at Wal-Mart and got himself a pay-as-you go Verizon phone for using in the US, and he has his usual cell for using in Canada.

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I agree with that, company doesn't though. Just a calling card. Haven't heard of any companies that supply a cell phone. I know a bunch of drivers who have a Verizon cell phone with a Canada plan. Bell, Rogers, Telus and the rest don't come close to competing with U.S. cell providers.

8. disorder

disorder Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Nanaimo, BC
    Every company I have worked for as provided either a cell or mike phone. I don't use my personal phone for work or my work phone for personal calls. One company used Rogers but switched to Telus for better coverage, all the others have used Telus. Mind you these phones are used in BC though.

9. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    if you get a verizon phone ,with the canada plan --it will still be cheaper than the cut throat rogers---that gives you very good coverage ,except -some spots on 17 and 11--gets spotty thru there

tinytim Thanks this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It'll get spotty there regardless of the provider. I do seem to get a lot of dropped calls in the GTA with my Verizon phone though. Actually the call doesn't usually drop but I won't hear the person on the other end or vice versa. The problem disappears once I get past Barrie. That area is so saturated with people I'm guessing Verizon doesn't exactly get priority.

11. bulldozerbert

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    I have the verizon with canadian package....it is great.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.