Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Get-r-Done, Jan 22, 2011.

1. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    when i had rogers--i think i paid enough to own one of the towers

bulldozerbert Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    with verizon, no roaming, no long distance, even in Canada.

How come do Canadian cariers gouge their own people??? :biggrin_25516:

4. Beer Runner

Beer Runner Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Canada
    I was with Verizon for the last 3 years. But last November they started to mess with my plan. I was told by a Verizon rep that I could used my phone as a hotspot anywhere in Canada and the US, it was included in my plan. He even sent me a text message telling it it was included. My next bill was $700 dollars over. I called them and told them what happened and they dropped the charge. I was told never to use my phone as a hotspot in Canada again or I would be charged. As of that day I never did it again. Last month I got my new bill, $1400

I called them right back and explained what had happened before. They checked to see if I was using it as a hotspot and found out that I didn't. So they tell me that they will only charge me half. I told them no I'm not paying for a mistake some Verizon rep made in November. I said if that's how your going to treat a 3 year customer then I will end my relationship with Verizon. That was fine with them. But I will have to pay the full amount. I told them no I won't.

My phone has been cut off and I still don't plan to pay for some one else's mistake. They gave me the wrong info to start with, then dismiss the charges, then it's back on the bill, now they want all the money. I will never deal with them again.
    What they did was wrong. And I'm not paying for it.

5. Tattooed Millionaire

Tattooed Millionaire Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Lethbridge, AB
    I would concur! I went with Verizon, cause I am in the states all the time, and the cost is 1/2 of telus, the minutes are double, the contract is shorter, and the coverage is the same as the Canadian companies! And getting set up for a Verizon number is simple!!

6. chauhanprv

chauhanprv Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Brampton ON
    Rogers does have a plan for $ 50 or so and all incoming and outgoing calls are unlimited, If you are in Canada and making calls to US that also is unlimited but if you use it In states then its something like 1.45 a min. But all SMS's to and from states are included unlimited. No caller ID and voice mail though if you want one then u will pay like 15 dollars add on for both of them.

7. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    We have two way radios in the trucks so the company doesn't pay for our bills or supply us with phones. Although if I go out of town(anything I have to do a proper log or..160km air miles from our shop), we get paid back for the calls we had to make to get the job done.

I don't use my phone that much for work purposes so I don't hassle for the $10 bucks I may use at the end of every month for work. I have a pretty fair plan that allows me to use it for free most of the time anyways.

Old mans company pays for his bills in full though..lucky bugger :)

8. Get-r-Done

Get-r-Done Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    With koodos I have the North American package. So can call anywhere in North America from Canada but when I use it in the states it costs me about $1/min. roaming. I keep my calls to a minimum and use a land line whenever posible. This costs me about $80/month. Lately, I've been trying to email to dispatch but haven't been doing it long enough to know if there is any savings. I will let you know!
    I went with Koodos cause you arent on a plan so I can quit at any time and you pay for your phone thru a "tab" which is so much per bill. I am going to look into verizon though. Thanks for all the replies!

9. Get-r-Done

Get-r-Done Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    If you don't mind...how much is your bill per month with verizon? And do you use the phone a lot?

10. Beer Runner

Beer Runner Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Canada
    Mine sat at around 200 to 250 a month. I had a smart phone with everything on it. Once I used the mobile Hot spot, I got in trouble. I was told it was part of my plan, but soon found out that it wasn't. Now I'm stuck with this huge bill because I was given the wrong info. All cell phone companies will give you the shaft as soon a thy can. But what do ya do about it?

Get-r-Done Thanks this.
  11. Patricksgirl

Patricksgirl Light Load Member

Another option if you are running the states is get your phone unlocked and then get a sim card from a US company. We use verizon but that is because we can each get unlimited for around 90 total a month with them. I was in Pearson the other day and saw two guys switching out their bell cards for t mobile cards before they got on the plane. Yup the way to go. I had the Verizon Canada plan but really it was not worth it since I am barely in Canada when for the same price I get unlimited in the US.

Pamela1990 and Get-r-Done Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.