Cellphone data internet service recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by nazgul, Jan 21, 2018.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Oh Cricket is probably the best way to go. Unlimited plan for like 50 bucks and I've never been throttled. There are also many phones out there that will do cricket wifi hotspot for free

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Straight Talk now has unlimited data, text and calling for $55. You can bring your own phone and pick the carrier you want by putting a Straight Talk SIM card in your phone. I was on the T-Mobile but switch back to the Verizon side. I have a unloacked Moto G5 Plus phone. It has all the antennas so it will work on any carrier with their SIM card.

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    “Assist” Mobile. They gave out the Obama phones. :)

6. txtodd

txtodd Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2015
    One more vote for Verizon. Excellent coverage across the country, and with the new MiFi7730L jetpack I recently bought, I'm getting download speeds consistently at 50Mb/sec.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And keep in mind, lots of cell providers with unlimited data WILL limit hot-spotting. So if you like to watch Amazon or Netflix or Youtube video a lot ]on your laptop connecting to your data hotspot], you might invest in an adapter to output HDMI from your phone to a TV in your truck for improved viewing enjoyment, without eating up hotspot data. Once you breach the hotspot limit, they throttle it down significantly and instantly until the new cycle.

snowwy Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you have ATT and Directvnow. You can watch directv on your phone without eating your allotment. Then take a cable from phone to your tv.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Can you still get the same local channels as if you were at home?

And does Dish Network have something similar [where you can view on tablet via internet connection]. I prefer to stay with Verizon but may be adding satellite tv to a home address soon.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I read a couple days ago it's in the pipeline. I'll have to find the article and post it this weekend.

Tmo offers Netflix. Sprint offers hulu. Att owns DirecTV. i don't know if verizon offers anything.

Dish network owns sling tv.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I have DirecTv with DVR in the truck but can't get local channels and that's what I would really like to get access to so that I can keep up with local events at home. But I hate with A PASSION television web sites that have a bazillion ads and pop up and pop under pages that make viewing them almost impossible.

I really don't understand why local television stations aren't allowed to livestream their channels in tandem with their broadcasting. (And with same local commercials)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.