Cement, fly ash and those types, unloading. Top air?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Brettj3876, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Just wondering whats your method of unloading. Top air, no top air.

I do bulk cement in the oilfield and i see a lot of guys like using a mix of top air and aerators not all the way open. Why? I never use top air except under a few circumstances. Aerators all the way open. Once i get up to 13-15 psi open pressure control about half way and slowly crack a bottle all the way open. Once cement is flowing slowly cut back pressure control so just enough air keeps the cement from plugging up. A good running trailer and short 10ft hose and 40k gone in 35 min or so

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not sure what you are trying to ask.

You understand how to unload a pressurized bulk tanker with say Cement as a product into the ready mix's silo.

That leaves me with very little to address. If you are referring to the special shakers at the pots on the very bottom, those are special purpose. Activating them is a last resort option to fight plug up down stream once the turbo blower starts that classic Coughing of a metallic kind saying that the product is trying to plug up the hose and silo pipe you are blowing in.

The procedure would be to close the pot (Shut off product flow), And then open the empty pot to force air from tanker into the hose to break plug up in progress in addition to walking the hose to find the site of the plug with a rubber mallet to beat it loose. Or bang on the building's vertical stand pipe really hard to knock that plug out.

Shaker in the pot will be fired up on the empty so that its going to sing and viberate down the plugged up product.

Once tank pressure falls from 15 to around 8, reconfigure the valves to begin a rebuild of tank pressure to 15 with a clean standpipe blowing pure air and no product. Hopefully that turbo is no longer coughing or showing any sign of a blockage.

Close the empty pot off. Reopen next product pot, continue the unloading process.

4. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I always ran just enough top air to replace what was flowing out. Full throttle on the rattlers. It's my understanding if you ask 10 people how to unload a pneumatic you'll get 15 different answers.

I learned how to run a tank on a '72 Butler with no top air so when I got ahold of a new Heil it was definitely a luxury.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    You can also open the blowdown and suck the plugged up product back into the empty pot. I've made trailers dang near jump off the ground. :D

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That was something my company whom trained me said not to do. Ive thought about that a time or two. Believe me.

I had one failure at Rockville Fuel and Feed off I-270 one fine evening. Blowing cement peacefully into the silo 100 feet up. COUGH. WTF?! (By the time I was able to generate options and decide...) KABOOOM echoing... She did jump into the air came crashing down. Tractor too. The whole thing moved that way 3 feet. Chocks and all.

Factory boss ran out his side door white as casper the ghost... waving arms like a windmill shut it off for the love of god pleause.. now quickly... My feet became trees into the ground wont move. Stupid legs...

Hit the blow down.

MOst people do not understand the power of a 2 inch hardened steel pipe blasting 15 psi out of the tank directly into a brick wall 4 feet this way that I was parked next to. Fortunately it was poured cinder behind that veneer.

The trailer instantly and properly plugged from the silo way up there all the way to and pushed cement across the catwalk hose into my exhaust turbo, filled that and tried to drown the mack engine in cement powder. (THAT was interesting... she started loping. COUPG CHPUG Pugh cough RATTle....)

Legs still wont move. Trailer screaming by now..... Boss man recovers power of spoken english words and proceeds to formally tell me that I am kicked out, the horse I ride in on not welcome. straight back tot he company yard shop and don't come back.

What did I do? Nothing. Your trailer's check valve broke clean through. Im sick of your company doing this to me again....

Brettj3876 and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    The only time I've used top air is with pebble lime. It seems that was the only way to keep the tank pressure steady. But for cement and ash, basically any powder, I don't use top air. I've done it, and found it to be a pain. You have to babysit it while unloading, and I don't like to babysit.

I unload using aerators, usually I'm sitting in the truck while unloading, reading the newspaper. 26.5 tons into a 80 ft tall silo with 20 ft of hose usually takes me about 40 minutes.

8. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yea i dont use any top air either. I was pretty much asking how you guys unload. All of our airslide's are heil's with compressors instead of blowers. Aerators on full and once its flowing cut the line pressure back as much as i can without plugging up.

Some of our trailers are a pain the vibrators dont work or don't wanna hold pressure so your unloading at 8-9 psi instead of 14-15. Dont ever have much hose maybe 40ft at the longest most of the time 10-20ft then into the silo 20ft. Portable silos hold 700-1000 sacks depending on blend, 2 loads

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Airslide means a special fabric is between the lading and the metal wall. You feed it air and boom it slides right out.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  10. Brettj3876

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Thats what they call em in the oilfield. I know they have some type of padding inside them. I've heard em called fluffers before. I've never saw the inside of one so i can't tell ya.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    You're doing it the right way, if you want to unload as quickly as possible. Keep your tank pressured way up using the aerators only, and just just enough discharge-line air to keep from plugging up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.