Central Dispatch Rates Seem A Bit Low ?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 29, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Good Morning Guys and Gals,
    I have a question that I would like some feedback on. I am a newly formed auto hauler. I started this business with no financing help what so ever put all costs on my credit cards. I have my own authority and follow all the compliance rules. I have a single truck and a single car hauler 20 foot open Sundowner dual axle aluminum trailer. It's all I could afford at the time. I joined U-Ship that was a bad idea had no idea the drama with dealing on a regular basis with un-registered and bootleg companies. So I joined Central Dispatch. That alone has kept me busy and a positive cash flow coming in week by week. My only issue is the rates some of these brokers offer for what seems a lot of miles. I know I am not going to be as profitable as say a two or three car hauler because I know the equation. First car covers fuel second covers wear and maint. third is profit. I get that but right now I am not in a posistion to upgrade.

Does anyone else feel the rates offered are fair or are these based on larger companies that can transport multiple vehicles at one time. Some people have said Central is geared towards the smaller carrier rather than the mega carriers. Is this something anyone feels is true? I am not complaining about the work or the rates so much as I think in some cases they seem to low ball. Has anyone ever negotiated to these brokers a higher price and been successful? I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. I would appreciate all your feedback on this.

Thanks Everyone

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    When haulers are busy and cars to move are many, you can bump the price by negotiating with the broker. The cars listed on Central is what is left after haulers with the cozy deals get the cream of the crop and what is left over is listed on Central. Add in all the haulers who heard there is big money in car hauling so they went out and bought a 6 or 7 car high mount trailer and others who had a dually and bought a 3 car wedge etc. With the trailer you have and can only haul one car, you are extremely limited. Look for dealers who need a vehicle moved on a dealer trade, bring one out, bring another back. Haulers who run 3 car trailers often fail, so the percentage for you is not very good. A one car enclosed at least can move high end vehicles that usually pay better. Good Luck.

4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    First of all yes the prices on CD are what I like to call their "wishful thinking" price. They would love for you to haul that cheap but it's up to you (and all of us) not to.

Second do yourself a favor and sell that whole setup asap. You are doing nothing but putting miles on that truck and depreciating it faster than you can make money. I really hope that you did not buy that truck new because if you did you could have spent half the money on a pre emissions tractor and used 6 car and been way better off

5. Mr&MrsPete

Mr&MrsPete Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    How on earth are you making any money on a single car setup? Please do not tell me you watched "Shipping Wars" and thought those guys are making money. Run, don't walk from that setup. To answer your question, yes Central Dispatch is the left overs. It is a good way to get started because most of it is COD. However, ween yourself off that as soon as you can. I ran off of Central from CA to TX twice a month for three years with an eight car trailer. After a while it got too cheap and I got tired of competing with every Eastern European car hauler in the world. The rates were just on a race to the bottom. Maybe find a new-car carrier with a railhead or assembly plant near you and sub haul for them

TheRealLargeMarge, Terry270 and sxdime Thank this.
  6. sxdime

sxdime Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Elkton MD
    I agree with the above comments. They are trying to bash you for what you decided to do simply trying to help you before you get upside down. If you don't want to run a Class 8 truck and like the 1 or 2 car deal, get a rollback. That would give you way more options as far as what you could do. You could still pick up vehicles for the auction. You would also be able to get inop's for them without any issue. You could also then pick up for places like Copart etc. The one car trailers are "toy haulers" meaning someone's garage queen etc.

7. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I wish I could but it was all I could afford I couldnt extend myself any further in debt or I would be bankrupt. I am just gonna hold onto a little hope and maybe someday it will work out. The only positive side is I own the truck and trailer outright

8. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    You don't understand, it will not work out. The only way this ends with your current setup is you owning a worn out truck that is worth nothing that you have sunk thousands into and MAYBE you managed to make minimum wage after all expenses.

If you don't have the cash or credit to buy a proper setup(I recommend a 4 car at very least and a pre egr tractor) then bow out now and try again when you do. I realize that sounds mean but there is no happy ending here.

Doealex, Viceroy1, Dorsey and 3 others Thank this.
  9. HurricaneHarrison

HurricaneHarrison Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2016
    I am looking to do a 3 car haul. Wanted to do something small like yourself. I've read that even a 3 car haul is difficult to make money with. Central Dispatch was where I was going to start. I hope things change with them.

10. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    You have a better chance of moving in with Sofia Vergara as opposed to CD changing for the better.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.