Central ref Question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Apr 10, 2014.

1. d_man

d_man Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I am set to go to the central refrigeration school in SLC in May. I have only read negative things about them lately so its kind of worrying me. Anyone have any advice or good experience from their school and what its like or how everything is structured.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Central is now Swift, and the new Swift terminal is Central's old terminal in Salt Lake.

So, choose your poison.

4. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's my advice, don't get fuel at the SLC terminal unless you have 2 hours to kill.

Prostar_Central and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  5. droflex

droflex Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Yep, If you want to know anything about Central, just just search for swift and you'll have your answers.

There is no Central Refrigerated anymore. Only the name on the building and the trucks.

You can take everything you read the way you want to.

I'm still officially employed by Central and I can tell you that things changed drastically since swift took over.

Not in a good way. That of course, is just my humble opinion.

I worked for Central for 13 months.

I'm not going back after my leave of absence is over.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some good companies in WA to choose from:

trans-system - 3 companies to choose from.

Watkins-Shepard - 3 terminals
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2, align: left"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD]Lakewood[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 25px"] [/TD]
    [TD]Spokane[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 25px"] [/TD]
    [TD]Vancouver[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7. ssj5

ssj5 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Go with a different company if you are able to. Find a company that has more positive than negative feedback, Central Ref is not one of them. However, there are worst companies out there, I would rate Central Ref average/below average. But if i were you, i'd go with a better starter company like Roehl. This is coming from personal experience at Central Ref.

8. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    If they're still using central TDA(truck driving academy) then it's a really good training program. I know nothing about swifts training program. Now as far as working for swift. I'm gonna walk away from that question....

9. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You will hear bad things about all the newbie companies. Lots of people have bad experiences with their first company. Many of those things can be traced back to the newbies themselves. Trucking is not something that I am a natural at. It took work for me to understand this business. I did not grow up on a farm or with a boat. I did run out and buy a ball hitch for my Brand new Dodge 1976 Ram Charger. Everyone laughed and pointed out that I didn't have anything to tow.

My point is that any company willing to hire someone with NO experience should be considered by someone with NO experience. I make fun of Swift but they are doing something right to have grown as large as they have. Do they pay well? No but you are just starting out. You will likely tear up your first truck. Not totally but a scratch here or there is in your future. Also, working for a big company you will have to learn who to talk to and who to avoid. People misunderstand things and pass on incorrect information all the time. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open. Learn. Swift or Central, it doesn't really matter. You are going to school with them. On a scholarship that even let's you make a little money on the side.

I started out making 34,000 my first year driving. I will make $108,000 this year. Did my first company suck? No, I did. You will too. You will also get better. Then the good jobs open up. But not mine. I am going to grow old and die for this company. They treat me like I would treat me.

ttwjr32 Thanks this.
  10. ttwjr32

ttwjr32 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2013
    California
    Good Points Wooly Rhino. Everyone needs to start somewere and get the experience. But nobody admits their shortcomings.

I don't know but I think it is what you make of it. The learning curve is long. When you stop learning you stop living.

Wooly Rhino Thanks this.
  11. droflex

droflex Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Thanks for the heads up on that company. Lakewood is close to me but, I don't want to be OTR anymore.

It did it to get some experience for local job.

I didn't see any local stuff on their website.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.