Central Ref

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by jimijam66, Dec 24, 2005.

1. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    hrdlife ,I will only pass on info that was so freely given to me ,I was recomended by this forum to try and go to a tech school or community college ,I was fortunate enough to have the $2000 dollars wanted by the local tech school here in central fl the pdti certified school was booked up for a couple of months so I went to another local tech school and applied and they said they had federal money to pay for my training if I qualified ,I dont know what criteria they used except having at least a GED and they wanted to see my 2005 tax filing info and they approved it and I am getting a 10 week 320 hour drivers training program for free and dont have to pay it back as long as I graduate the class which I got my CDL a week ago and finish the class jan 17th , now getting on with a quality company is another story,good luck I hope this will help you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scg

scg Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I applied on line and was tuned down after speaking with the recruiter over the phone after he had my work history which I provided. It seems that having held many part time jobs over the past five years to put myself through school is a no no. You cannot have more than three jobs in the past five years - period, no exceptions. I can understand an employer being very nervous about a job hopper but to decline someone that held part time jobs to better themselves though education is really unbeliveable. That in and of itself should speak volumes about how you will be treated.

Also they really don't have a policy for getting you home in an emergency other that to try and route you home in your truck. They will not fly you. So does this mean that when my 87 year old mother's time comes I will more than likely miss the funeral? What about your new baby, sick spouse, etc.

The school they use is a separate contract between you and the school. Cost is $2,000 and is two weeks long. A rather short training period. While you are provided a room at the terminal in Utah, you must bring at least $350 for your own meals. The $100 pay for orentation is paid at the end. They pull $25 a week from your pay for school so it will take the better part of two years to pay it back. The recruiter could not provide any information on the school contact concerning interest rates, pay back period, etc. Also you will be billed $30 to $35 for your DOT physical. Seems they don't want the businss expense deduction but want you to incurr a non deduction to you.

You spend only two maybe three weeks with a trainer before going sole. You will be asked to go on a lease at 3 months, and you can become a trainer after only 6 months. Is this the blind leading the blind? Or just sheer stupidity? Wonder what their insurance rates are?

They do not have an auxillary power unit on their company trucks so getting the fuel bonus will disappear when you idle in the winter to stay warm or cool in the summer. However you can spend $5,000 to $8,000 according to the recuiter to buy one. What happens when you have your company truck given to some one else for whatever reason?

Recuiters suggestion was to call Swift immediately since they need people. I think not knowing from personal experience how drivers are treated and abused by both dispatchers and Driver/Fleet Managers. I am not one to whine but I don't need to repeat history.

Think I will look at Marten or Rhoel

4. Dannyboi

Dannyboi Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2007
    clovis,ca
    I just joined this site today for one thing, to warn drivers about CENTRAL REFRIGERATED! This company is just like most, they don't live up to there word. I was an owner operator after getting my license through them. I drove a company truck for three months and then leased a w9 from them huh... was that ever a mistake. I could run 2700mi or 4000mi in my lease truck and would still get the same paycheck regardless of miles, granted my used w9 didn't break that week. They entice you with the whole freedom to do what you want with your own truck which is a lie because all the contract adds up to be is a rental agreement. I would love to go on and on but i am out of time as i was in the middle of something when i found and joined this site. Please look forward to upcoming info on this company as i will try to find ex-drivers who have been screwed by them when i have more time. I'm moving this weekend, though soon as i get the internet up at the new place i will be back.

5. lvjeffro

lvjeffro Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Don't be bitter because you were stupid enough to lease a truck through them, did you even bother to do the math???

.86 cents a mile (not paid on deadhead miles)

.30+ cents per mile for truck, ins, and permits
    .20+ cents per mile for fuel
    .06 cents a mile for maintainance fund
    after all that you make .30 cents a mile, same as a company driver, but as a company driver you can take time off and not go into debt.

I have been working for them for a while and ave 600-900/wk and central is not the best company but has not been bad either...good place to start for newbies...

6. wild bird

wild bird Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I live in s. c.
    dear TurboTrucker,
    You seem to be in the know about company's, can you tell me if you know anything about a company called Donco or Rocor? Are they still in business? Back when I worked for them they were strickly a refer outfit. Good equiptment and fair wages. I was a driver trainer but they didn't have a school just took newbes out of school and gave them driving experance.
    I worked for them for about 8 years, back in 1984 and haven't heard about them since 1996. It isn't important I just wondered.
    Thanks,
    Wild Bird(retired trucker)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  7. wild bird

Jul 6, 2007
    I live in s. c.
    it has been said over and over: there is one born every minute"

8. wild bird

Jul 6, 2007
    I live in s. c.
    Oh by the way here are some rules to look at:
    don't drive for an owner-operator unless you have an iron clad contract.
    don't buy a truck from any company this is an old dodge and has been in practice since there have been trucks.
    I could go on but these are the most important ones.
    and don't trust anyone with out proving them and what they say.

9. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Are you company or lease with central?

10. lvjeffro

lvjeffro Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2007
    bre1979, after what I said about being a lease operator, you still asked this question??? I was company, but 3 of my school buddies went on to be dumb enough to lease a truck through them, they are now completely screwed due to the gas prices, they can't go home for any amount of time or they go real deep into the hole on payments and if your truck breaks down, its your responsibility to get it fixed and to pay for it and one of my school buddies is going through a rash of truck problems right now, so that means no runs, lots of down time and money invested into centrals truck......No thanks, if I want to be owned I would have become a truck driver...Oh wait, darn...LOL...

The one thing that central ripped me off on was them #### load locks, my advice to you new people who will start at central, do not buy any load locks, once you get on your first solo load, get to a truck stop talk to the clerk and ask them to ring up 2 load locks to find out exactly how much you need the commchek for and qualcomm in a macro for a commcheck for 2-load locks...a way to by-pass them stealing 40.00 from you...

then you won't loose the money in the end...4 months later I am still fighting with them to get my 40.00 back, and it isn't the money, its the principal of the matter...I turned them in, and they said, oh no, those are yours to keep!!! I said I am flying home, how do i take these on the plane with me and dude said, "don't know what to tell ya, you can leave them here":biggrin_25510:

11. Green Head

Green Head Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Palestine, Texas
    to keep from hijacking your thread, I started my own. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.