Central Refrigerated Lease Question

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by bamamac, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    Like alot of leases with these companies that push them would you guys say that it is almost impossible to make a decent living driving solo as a lease operator? Is being atrainer, or teaming the only way to make as a lease operater with Central?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mamamullins

mamamullins Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Ingalls, IN
    I really don't know much about Central Refrigerated, but I have looked into several companies that offer lease purchases. The thing you need to look at it is the amount of escrows that the company has because there can be 3-4 escrows involved along with weekly payments, fuel surcharge, tolls, scales, lumpers, and etc. Most drivers will take home $200-600 a week while doing the lease purchase option. Now, you can make good money doing team or a person could remain a company solo driver. As far as training, it takes a person with patience and understanding to teach others the things that they need to know. It's a personal decision of what will work for that individual and what will not.

reefer75 Thanks this.
  4. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Do you have a family or other reason to take time off at home? Then solo leasing would be really hard unless you trainer to get the added income. Now if you don't have a 'home' and want to live in a truck and save your money ... Then you probably could... This is just my opinion though.

mamamullins and bamamac Thank this.
  5. MaMa T

MaMa T Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Port Austin, MI
    Only way to make a living with a Central lease is to become a trainer. This way you get paid for the miles you and the student drive. Had O/O lease with Central. Grossed 65k, neted 15k.

NJ LADYTRUCKER Thanks this.
  6. Stewey1982

Stewey1982 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2013
    My advice on leasing is if you can afford a down payment for a truck and are really set on going O/O try and buy a truck. Furthermore, be very leery about these people that complain about not making money doing it. Yes, MOST L/O fail, and I'm going to beat a dead horse here, but it's b/c they have no clue or experience running a business. I'm going to paint with a broad brush and say that most don't run it like a business b/c they don't want to sacrifice home time, their "home" debts are way too high, and they think they're going to get rich with all this new found freedom.

They think since they have the ability to refuse loads, go home when they want, and run the truck at the speed they want, they'll come out on top. One has to look at the pro's and con's of leasing vs purchasing. While I'm of the school of thought that purchasing the truck is better than leasing the truck, many people will disagree.

Pro's of leasing-
    Newer equipment, most parts will be covered by warranty, no to low down payment
    con's of leasing
    high monthly truck payment (more than if you just bought a truck and got an extended warranty), large balloon payments at the end if you want to purchase the truck, they have a set amount of miles the truck can run before you have to pay excess mileage fees,

those are just some things to consider.

Lady K Thanks this.
  7. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

VERY true words!! We lease, and if we had had the credit/down payment we would have gone the purchase route. Now we are half way through our lease, we pay $200+/week in 'over mileage' (we team, so run more miles than a solo... But if you train, it would be the same thing)... We are weighing our option on if we want to purchase this truck at the end of the lease, or purchase a different truck... And if a different one should it be new or used...

8. AceKing

AceKing Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If you want to do good as a lease operator, you must get good fuel economy and don't over fuel for the load unlless you are in a area where there is cheap fuel. If you drive 55 you get the best fuel economy

9. dv8

dv8 Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Detroit, Mi
    Are you still driving for Central Refrigerated?

10. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Wait a sec...They charge you for doing a lot of miles? instead of paying you for running harder they punish you for working more? Am I reading that right? if so, that is ludicrous.

11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Just like any lease, whether car or pick-up or truck. There is a set amount of 'allowed' miles and there is a charge if you go over them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.