Central Refrigerated Truck Stop II

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by celticwolf, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passion4polishing

passion4polishing Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    "Air tabs" are vortex generators. Creating a vortex causes airflow to follow the contours of a surface better. I know of two uses for them. Some cars have them at the rear of the roof to eliminate the turbulent air behind the rear glass, and some light planes have them on the leading edge of the wing to reduce stall speed (Wings stop producing lift when the air over the top of the wing becomes turbulent). I have seen them on tractors, but I sort of question the value. If the idea is to make the air follow the shape of the object it seems like it could cause air to wrap around the back of the tractor causing a high pressure area in front of the trl that would reduce efficiency. It might not work out that way, but I have my doubts that anyone ever put a tractor trailer in a wind tunnel to see what the effects are (otherwise they would probably cost $1000+ like anything else for a class 8 tractor). If a group of people showed me empirical evidence that they worked I'd shut up and buy some.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stroker73

Stroker73 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2011

Think about it. If you're paying a 90 percent markup to these places, you are VERY important to them, just not in the way you would normally think. 12 dollar sub though? Subways are everywhere and and at most truck stops, priced same as at home.

4. Stroker73

Stroker73 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I suspect that if air tabs improved fuel mileage by even 1 or 2 tenths of a mile, then all the big companies (Central included) would be putting them on every company run tractor in the fleet. Same deal as the super single tires that are put on every company truck. Same deal as the air flow wings underneath the trailers.

5. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Yeah. I didn't buy their food. It was at whiskey Pete's at the 1 on 15 in Nevada.

6. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    The only company I know that puts them on all the tractors is NFI. I like your thinking; if Mesa valley doesn't have them (they have side skirts, trl tails, and drive wheel fairings on most of their equipment) than there's a good chance they don't do much.

7. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL

The only company I know that puts them on all the tractors is NFI. I like your thinking; if Mesa valley doesn't have them (they have side skirts, trl tails, and drive wheel fairings on most of their equipment) than there's a good chance they don't do much.

8. Buckeye91

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Got a call today to do Midwest dedicated. .41/mi 1,800-2,200/week. Loads are 300-500 miles per load. For mcklane and kraft. He pretty much assumed that I wanted it. When I called him back he was like yeah I already called salt lake and let them know. So I guess I'm on Midwest dedicated. lol

9. passion4polishing

Mar 7, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I guess they got you to take these dumb loads they've been giving me. Welcome.

Arkansas Frost Thanks this.
  10. Buckeye91

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Saying its not worth it? Or not worth it at the basic pay rate?

11. Arkansas Frost

Arkansas Frost Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2012
    North Little Rock, AR
    The Midwest runs are like solo lease ops. There are a lot of people who have tried it. There's only a few who keep on doing it. Wouldn't be too bad of a deal if you sleep in your own bed most of the time. I liked my DM but that's about it! Vacations almost over! Noooooo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.