Central?

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by newroady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    I see that central is now running volvo 780's are they offerd as a lease truck or just company teams?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smadronia

smadronia Heavy Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    lease trucks only.

4. bre1979

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Someone on here said they are not getting them anymore is that true? Are you a current driver for them? Are they available to anyone or just seasoned leasors? Sorry i got lots of questions

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    my wife and drove for central and went through 2 brand new 780's. these are the volvo with the d16 motor. they have lots of issues and recalls. we had two trucks in six months and ran 5000 miles. this is nothing against central, but I would not recommend the 2007 d16's. they are a brand new truck that hasnt had they bugs worked out yet. We had several other drivers with the same problems. they were known at central as the lemoneighty fleet. this is why they bought petes this year.

6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    the 670's seem to have a pretty good track record though.(for volvo) basically they took the motor out of the 880 and put it in a smaller truck. it was literally throwing the cabs of the trucks of the frames.(when they were running) but boy they pass like you wouldnt believe going up hill.

7. bre1979

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    so no more 780's huh. I was just looking for a truck w a big sleeper on it

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I have only seen a few of the newest 780s around the company. I know that they have gotten a few 09's but not many. They were really really a problem. One of the mechanics told me it was because they ordered the ones last year without the air ride front end. I cannot say if this is true, but I am pretty sure it was the case.
    I do know the cabs were falling off. Maintance did not want to admit the issue at first though. I saw 2 of them side by side last year in salt lake. One leaning right the other left. Looked like a pitched roof.

Just remember, with that big sleeper comes extra weight, and a much longer wheelbase. They turn worse than a W900, just you can see better.
    The T2000s are still around. you can find a used one to lease, the payments are less, and you can get one that has an APU already.
    The Petes have a long lease and higher payments. For a truck that at the moment is selling for much less than its MSRP at the dealers.
    You would actually pay close to 25k more than they are selling for at the moment and not own it at the end of the lease.

I have not leased, and there mile rates are still too low. I am hopeing they will raise there mileage rates to .90 a mile soon, since they are raising all the rates they are charging shippers. If they do this I will buy a truck and lease on. Well spec'ed internationals and freightshakers prices have dropped more than 10k in the last few weeks. I have seen many in great condition, owner op spec's, less than 400k miles for under 40k. And they are still dropping. At those prices you can put 10-15 grand down and have payments of under 1,000 a month, for 36 months. Depreciate it out over the three years and own the truck. All while making payments less than half of what you will on a lease, and not have the 50k buyout if you want to own it at the end.

The only way to make real money over time on there leases is to team with your spouse, or be a trainer. The over mileage rates are insane as well. They start at 2800 miles and go up with miles. All miles in a week over 3200 you will loose .15 a mile from your already low .85 cpm rate, on all miles over that.

I like the company, but I would not lease from anybody.

9. bre1979

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Good post, do you know what the payments are on the 780 and the pete 387?

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I am not sure, but I am pretty sure it is over 500 a week.
    Granted that ammt is close to 100% tax deductable, only part that is not will be whatever interest they are charging, and they will not tell you that till you are ready to sign.
    I still dont like them however.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.