CH Robinson

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jasonar15, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    As with anything in business, the supply & demand model trumps (no pun intended) most every other consideration, especially when it comes to revenue.

That reality when taken to it's most basic value within our industry is mostly lane dependent.

Anyone who thinks a broker is paying you more than the going rate (based on capacity in the spot market) because they're your "buddy", is drinking the kool-aid they want you to drink. I mean if someone is cool with drinking the kool-aid because they like the flavor, more power to them ;-)

whoopNride, 77fib77 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I know I dont get a "favored" rate. I get the rate I negotiate.

I will never know (or care to stress about) what the broker got on their end. Thats their business.

I watch my end, and 9 times out of 10, I feel happy. So far, I'm trending above $3+/mile including deadhead.

BoostedTeg and spyder7723 Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Exactly, it's the rate you're "happy" with. Not necessarily the best or worst rate.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  5. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I’m not going to use them exclusively to run my trucks. I’ve got a customer that needs some loads moved from different areas so just looking to fill in the miles. I’ve had some of the people I haul for say I’ll pay to deadhead to get the load moved. I say ok and then find me something along the way.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I don't.....and won't......for anybody.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If your hard up on cash do the quick pay thing. Quite a few of our loads come from ch and they pay pretty darn good

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    What does it mean to be in their top tier? They pay better or what? LOL

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Not sure just something you get for using CHR exclusively as your broker. And good record for on time delivery. That is all I know.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I used them at the beginning when I was getting my feet wet. Now I call them as a last resort when coming back home, instead of deadheading. They're just a tool. I never befriended anybody there, although, I heard from some that they are dedicated to them but never spoke about money, tiers and such. Now I consider them ridiculously cheap, a lot cheaper than TQL or Coyote. But I don't know what tier I had the honor to advance to. LOL

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    There isn't any "special" tier. Any rate you can get with CHR (unless you have capacity) is going to be a case by case, lane by lane, negotiated rate. On the lane I work, the southbound part of the lane is cheap. The normal spot rate is what it is, these brokers all know what the lane pays and that's what they offer.

The only time I can get more out of ANY of them (including CHR) is when loads outweigh capacity. Then many of the one's I have called the day before with a rate quote start calling me back with the line, "hey, turns out I can pay your rate after all."

It's amazing how that works, isn't it?...

One day, or a few hours before, there's just NO WAY they can pay that rate, there's "not enough money in the load" to cover that rate. Then magically, there is enough money to cover the rate I quoted them! LOL Usually by then, it's too late because someone else already pulled the trigger before them.

It's like a game of chicken, or musical chairs sometimes in this business ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.