Chain Binders which are better?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Rodneyna217, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rodneyna217

Rodneyna217 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    • Going back flatbedding after a year off. I was wanting to get opinions on chain binders, or some ppl calls them boomers. Ive checked and ive seen some with a T handle at the end of the lever. It allows for the arm to be shorter but the T bar at the end looks better to use no matter what side of the binder you be on. Ive always used snap or screw binders but i wanted to know what ya liked best and if ya have ever used the T handle binders. Thank you all and Be Safe out there. Rodney

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ratchet binders the only way to go, and I'm no flatbedder. Those T handle ones must be new, never saw those. I'd still go will the straight handle.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Rodneyna217 Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    T handles? On snap binders or ratchets? Ratchets might be ok but I don't see the point. On snaps you need to be able to get a bar on the handle, no one can properly tighten a snap binder by hand.

And if I had my own equipment I would go with some of each between ratchets and snaps.

Rodneyna217 Thanks this.
  5. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Like these?

upload_2017-10-7_16-35-56.jpeg

KB3MMX, Rodneyna217 and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you plan on doing DOD loads, you are going to need ratchet binders. More and more they are starting to require them on on loads.

In the last few years, All of the Navy loads have required them. Was clearly stated on manifest and bills.
    They are even starting to have securement documents with full specs and drawings for loads detailing how it needs to be tied down.

Lepton1, OLDSKOOLERnWV, KB3MMX and 4 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive only used two kinds of securement. One is a T shaped ratchet with a gear in the middle, when operated the two hooks pull tight on either end. Its generally not going anywhere once tight. (And you learned to wrap some chain around it's handle against something.

The other kind is a tension type binder, you put pressure on the handle and it will come through itself to snap into place provided there is just enough slack to do it. Wrap chain around the handle to itself.

The T type is the better one. Although the snap binder is a little more useful in tight spots. When I have monster coils, T ones go on first and if I still need more then the binders go on also.

I am the kind of person that will spend a extra time to put everything possible onto a load on my deck, straps, chain etc. All of it. It might seem grotesque to others when there is 30 plus chains hanging on to a big coil but I feel you can never have enough securement if something does happen.

Rodneyna217 Thanks this.
  8. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Are these T handle binders something new ?
    I have never seen one other than the picture above.
    Many of the places i go do not allow snap binders to be used on their loads. They say that they are unsafe. I tend to agree...

9. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    30+ chains on a coil? I can't fathom how that is even possible....if you said 10-12 Ok, but 30, come on!?!?

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Snap binders unsafe? That's an absurdity. Some idiots may be unsafe with them. But there is nothing inherently unsafe about them.

11. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Both ratchet and snap binders have their place. Ben using my snap binders more since they are faster for me.

FerrissWheel, MrEd, tony97905 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.