Chain Laws

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Passin Thru, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Like I said they started a new law in 07 for all of the drivers that you must carry chains at all times in the state of colorado.
    I however do not know if that is still the law or not it use to say that you had to on the colorado dot home page but I can not find any info on it now.

4. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    IMO, chains are hung to get a Big truck safely off the road until it's safe to return to said road --- withOUT chains.

However, I carried chains at ALL times.
    They help in muddy conditions too.
    Sometimes, all that's needed is to lay them on the ground in front, or back, depending, of the drive tires for additional traction.
    Just remember to fetch 'em after getting UNstuck.

5. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

On topic...sort of...

I had a Ryder Rental truck for about 10 days or so. While the truck didn't have any chains, it did have an automatic chain system that I hadnt seen before. I forgot the name, but basically when you flip a switch in the truck, a device is released that drops down and is pushed against the inner sidewall of the inside drive tire. That causes the device to spin and start throwing chains constantly under the truck. Thought it was interesting, dont know how effective they are.

6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Those are called "on-spot" I think that is the company name, When I was peddeling booze we had single axle day cabs with on-spots, I loved them we were in and out of tight taverns and resorts ect...It was great to just flip a switch and have instant traction to get going...Great in slick conditions at stop signs as well!!....I wouldn't want to run them down the road for great distance but for our application they were the cats ###!!!

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    So just to cover ones backside with each state that has chain laws, how many tires does one need to carry chains for? I wasn't even thinking about that, and it is already September. Hubby's gonna need some chains.He doesn't end up out west much at all, mostly TX to WI, and east, but he has been out to OR, WA, & CA once.

One more question - where did this year go?

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Google Tire chain laws. It will give alot of links.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Why is it so hard to get a straight answer on this forum? I thought that it was here to help out other drivers.

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Because if you were to google it, you would find that there are several different laws that are involved.

California has theirs, Oregon and so forth.

In California and Oregon, you must carry chains for trailers. Others do not have that restriction.

I believe it is best to have a source that can be trusted on items like this.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

What do you want a "straight answer" to?
    Where did this year go?

Couldn't be to your chain question because Roadmedic gave you
    a pretty straight answer.
    He's not a computer, but it seems he knows how to use one to access answers to questions.
    Or, are WE expected to do ALL the leg work?

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.