Challenger Motor Freight?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Mar 3, 2018.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Every time I get the itch to put my class 1 to use I just read what the starting pay is and that kills that idea off pretty quickly lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Well I've been looking for a year now for work and not even a single place will take me, what other option do I have? I still live with my parents so I don't have to pay rent or anything.
    Apparently the rates are going up on April 1st and they should be telling me soon what that new rate is. Either way I'm debt free, live with my parents and don't have to worry about bills. I would understand it would be different if I had a mortgage and 3 kids to support.

4. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Something to consider.....

Don't run down south for these outfits if you can help it - that 37 cpm adjusted for exchange is about 29cpm.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  5. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    That just made it sound horrible, gotta love the low Canadian dollar eh? I don't really know what to do at this point, I need experience. No other company will take me. Every company that wants to give me a "chance"" expects little to 0 pay for 6 months. They love taking advantage of young cdl holders.

6. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sure, but you get way better miles/loads and event pay down south. Just don't buy #### down there, stock the fridge before you leave, and use your points from fueling to get stuff at the truckstop. My first run to the states in training, I got pilot/love's/ultra one rewards cards, and I just used those points at the truck stop vs cash. With the lane premiums, US miles bonus and other stuff, I made .47cpm down south in my first year.

7. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Yep I hear ya, it's a tough spot to be in. No dept or overhead at home will save your arse though.

Get that experience, spread your wings and fly away to a great job! I understand you said you've looked high and low, does that include food service places? I lived in Vancouver at the time I got my license (13 years ago) and with 0 experience I was making 17 or 18$ an hour at Neptune (gfs now) had nice grapefruits for biceps and home every day.

Canadianhauler21 and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I would not recommend anyone work for Gordon or Sysco in 2018, they have become computer run corporations. They will literally kill you on the job, and not even feel bad about it. Its to bad tho, lots of the older guys I work with, used to love working at both of those places. Now their a couple slave driver companies, who violate pretty much every HOS/Labour law we have in Canada. If you get hurt, they will drop you so fast, you won't know what happened. I think the last guy we hired from Gordon, said they expected him to do 400+ packages of food, in 1hr 45 mins solo, in the winter, for $24.57/hr.

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    What you are doing is trying to break into a career where wages are going to go south. Only a matter of time before its all immigrants and women driving trucks. No more will they be stranded slinging coffee at Timmies or working the till at the Macs as trucking is a cesspool for the uneducated.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I know how trucking is, I also have many friends that make good money trucking. My 22 year old friend makes $1800 a week running Toronto so San Antonio making 58CPM. My dad brings in $1400-1800 a week working local. I plan on going to college, I don't want to be 50k in debt from student loans when I'm done. I plan on banking money before I go to school so I don't have to worry about it. I have friends that went to college for varying number of years and don't even make $1000 a week before taxes.

BigHossVolvo and sirjeff Thank this.
  11. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I've had interviews at Sysco and GFS, never got a job from them though. Kind of glad after hearing what Cummins said about them.
    Had interviews with both, now I'm glad I didn't get hired. GFS also wanted a one year contract signed. They promised $31 an hour but after looking around its nowhere near that.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.