Challenger Motor Freight?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Mar 3, 2018.

1. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I am a firm believer in there being plenty left out there in this business for those willing to put in the work to go get it. It's only a dead end for dead end type people.

I'm uneducated (like most of us), and all things considered, am doing pretty #### well in this racket. It just takes a bit to get there. The steering wheel holders will never be able to meet the needs of the "upper end" of trucking. Anyone with a passion for this business can succeed in it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Amen to that, the mega's and scabby bottom feeder companies can have those steering wheel holders. I work for a power only contractor, and they pay us almost 2-3X to pull mega freight/trailers, when the load CANNOT END UP IN THE DITCH! There is also LTL companies, and they don't bother with steering wheel holders. Its like anything, every profession has levels, there will always be room for a wide spread of people.

4. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    At that point your not turning the key for the money, your turning it to get your experience which is 2 years around here before anyone will even look at you.
    To the OP - You say your father works local. Why don’t you ask your father and his company if you could possibly get a place there. Ask if you could ride along with your father gradually mentoring you and supervising your driving eventually getting a placement. That’s one of my plans if I choose to break into the industry. Have my father teach me the ropes (although having ridden with him for quite awhile am confident I can do the job just as well) and eventually replace him, being close to his retirement. Just a thought...
    What about Laidlaw Van? Do they take on new drivers? They seem like a decent company to work for (although they have been recently taken over by Transforce?). Good luck on which ever route you take to get to your goal!!

5. wavemaker

wavemaker Bobtail Member

May 1, 2014
    You can try mckevitt. I see they're taking new drivers. They have a terminal in Mississauga.

6. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    My dad has been mentoring me for a few weeks now, I go with him to work on a daily basis. He works for a company that has 25 trucks, I asked to work for them but their insurance company doesn't insure drivers under 25 years of age. I'll take a look at Laidlaw van, just after I see how the process with challenger goes.
    I'll take a look at them, thanks. I've heard good things about them.

6rider Thanks this.
  7. TransportNService

TransportNService Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Guelph, ON
    A lot of the larger companies are good with hiring new drivers, because they have formal training programs in place to help mentor new drivers...so that way they aren't just dumping you in a truck and waving goodbye.
    Transport N Service doesn't require multiple years of experience, we just want drivers that have some practical experience with crossing the border and are comfortable backing into tight spots.
    I always suggest getting city driving experience (especially if you're from Toronto) because that will teach you skills that are transferable as a Hwy driver.
    Once you get a bit of experience and are looking to move on to a company with more of a "family" feel to it... feel free to contact me.
    Good luck on your search.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  8. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    I've thought about doing local driving with Canada cartage. But I've heard horror stories from some of my friends who started local. One of my buddies on his first month backed into some guys tractor at a loading dock and paid 6K cash so he wouldn't report it to his company. My other buddy at Canada cartage passed his road test and a week later he hit 2 cars sitting in his blind spot. My father started long haul before working local, he recommended me to do the same. Challenger pays crap compared to a lot of other companies I've looked into. Only reason why I will go with challenger is for their training program, I'm not very confident driving with my current skills. After my one year contract is up, I'll gladly give your company a shot. I liked their Facebook page so I can remember it. Was actually offered by another small carrier for team, $700 a week cash for the first 3 months and $1200 cash a week once I started solo driving. However they have no training program, just being with a sketchy guy I don't know at all. I don't want to end up in a ditch or something somewhere due to not being trained properly.
    Thanks for your advice.

9. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I agree with this, starting local in Toronto or Vancouver is stupid IMHO.

Just one thing to keep in mind, Challenger and big companies BASE RATE is lower 0.37cpm in your case. But their pay packages are complex. Smaller companies advertise these high base rates, but that's all you get. When the settlement sheet comes in at the end of the week, all that matters is the total gross/net/cpm. IE my base rate starting out was 0.33cpm, but I got into PACNW work on the I5 Corridor. With all my lane permiums, event pay, and border crossings, I was making 0.57cpm and netting 900-1000bux my first month out. Guys at 0.48cpm with no event pay, were making less just blasting miles on the highway.

Learn how Challenger works, and learn to make money with them vs. thinking about the next company that pays a better base rate. I seen A LOT of guys at Bison get in that head space, and the next company was worse and they made less. It took 0.48cpm + event pay and a new truck to get me away from Bison; and sometimes I still think I could have done better there.

If anyone wants you to work for cash or as a contractor driver, with your own company/wcb and GST number, RUN! I've seen so many guys get burned that way, I myself even got burned with a smaller company as an employee. Big companies will always pay you, because they have a payroll department. Small/Medium/Scabby companies see paying as "optional".

10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Wise words from Cummins once again. According to challenger the base rate is going up to 0.40 base rate with the new increase. As for the pay factor they have many variables in play, so you're right on the mileage part. Good thing is they pay weekly as well. Ive just been paranoid reading stories on indeed about challenger. But I'll find out soon enough, orientation is on the 28th.

11. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I know a few guys that I run into here in the Detroit area that drive for Challenger, they seem happy. I have not heard anything bad about them from any of the drivers I have spoken with. This is automotive freight...

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.