Challenger Motor Freight?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Mar 3, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Just know this, Challenger is better than Bison, TransX, CanXpress, H&R, Lightspeed etc etc etc. The big companies have a lot of drivers, and any company that is willing to hire new drivers; is going to have turnover (some more than others). Hence, the reviews on Indeed, Google, Facebook, Glassdoor etc etc are gonna take a #### kicking. Not saying their all wrong, but some people get into trucking and just get annihilated. My Dad drove, so I knew what to expect, the first thing being DON'T TAKE #### PERSONALLY!!! (unless someone makes it personal, but you will know when that happens). That being said, Bison is terrible :p

Also if Challenger doesn't work on the 28th, ERB the best company I can think of working for In Van/Reefer, is having a hiring blitz soon.

Attached Files:

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I'd definitely say challenger is much better than all those companies you just listed. I just finished up the drug test and DOT medical today, should be getting those results sometime next week. Orientation is 8 weeks. Tell me what you think of the training program.
    5 days backing in the yard with a group of 3.
    10 days cornering and safe driving practices. One on One.
    10 days spent doing local deliveries One on One.
    15 days of highway driving (cross border) with the trainer.

If challenger doesn't work out Ill definitely give ERB a shot, I have a friend that works there. Hopefully everything goes well with Challenger, I put in a lot of time with these guys so far.

dunchues Thanks this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    That is a much better program that an Bison.

The backing in the yard is a big deal, make sure you get to do 45/90 alley dock, offset straight back, Blindside 90, 45. 180 to straight back. At Bison, if you could do a 45 alley dock 2X in a row, they kicked you over to your highway trainer and it sucked. Enjoy your time training, esp the first 3 parts. The Highway part will be tough, its hard to drive highway with someone in the passenger seat watching, and sleeping with 2 guys in a truck kinda sucks, but your first run solo after that part is over, feels #### good I tell ya.

ERB is a really really good company, but its 100% reefer, and that's it. Challenger does everything, so like I was saying before, room to maneuver without having to apply somewhere else. (figure out what works for you, Reefer/Van/Deck/Tridem/Container). Either way, you're doing things right, and avoiding a lot of the common mistake/headspaces new guys get into. The golden rule tho, no quitting before 2 years solo is up lol.

Canadianhauler21 and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  5. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Anyone have experience with Schneider?

6. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Apply to Schneider in Guelph. They have the best training in my experience. While I was happy to get out of there, I will say that it's one of the best at showing you how to do things the proper way. They'll often send you to places like Mondelez in Montreal where the Christie cookies factory is, so you have to learn how to make sharp right turns on small roads to get there. I think it's the best learning experience, but if you scratch someone's BMW, please take pictures for us.

BigHossVolvo and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  7. TheStopSignGuy

TheStopSignGuy Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018
    @Canadianhauler21 Hey Bud,

Just registered to the forum and been scouting around a bit. I am also thinking of signing up with Challenger for my first trucking job. (I haven't decided yet, I just like their training program, I want to be safe on the roads out there). I've just got my license recently, planning to start working in mid January.

How is it going? Did you end up working for Challenger? If yes, how do you find it?

Thanks

8. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Yes I did, worked there for about 6 months, I mostly went there for the training. Very good training. I ended up quitting because of better money elsewhere, in the process of paying them back about $5000 for the training.

Not a bad starter company, I was making about $2500 every 2 weeks which isn't the best but isn't bad either depending on how you spend your money. Teams make quite a bit more there.
    They always keep you updated throughout the year with yearly road tests and quarterly simulator testing.

Be prepared for some micro management if you plan on working there.
    Any idea what terminal you plan on working out of?

TheStopSignGuy Thanks this.
  9. TheStopSignGuy

TheStopSignGuy Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2018

Thanks for the reply!

If i go with Challenger, I'd start from from the Cambridge yard. I am plannimg to move out of my rental and live in the truck and as far as i know, that shouldn't be an issue with them. The only thing that seems low is the money, I agree but the training is a huge bonus. I guess the 2500 is gross, not net. I could never work in a team though lol. It'd be ok for while I'm a trainie but not when i start working. I have no idea how people can even sleep while someone else is driving. I really can't wait to get behind a wheel and start working already. And what do you mean my micro management? Did they harrass you a lot for minor stuff?

10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    The $2500 was net. My last two pays at challenger was $2516 and $2670 after taxes. Which isn't the greatest but isn't bad either. You can always stop by in Cambridge yard and hang around in the yard there, they have bunk rooms and a pretty alright lounge. The safety department can get on your nerves, they have pretty strict parameters setup all around. Over 68MPH triggers a over speed warning, follow someone too close for 30 seconds and that sends out another report, press the brake to hard and it sends out a hard brake report, take a turn slightly too fast and it sends of a stability control report. It keeps you cautious, and it's nearly impossible to get fired from challenger. I tried to get myself fired and I just ended up quitting because they wouldn't let me go.

Just get your training and run away screaming. Or do the year and leave. I still don't know why some people stay there for years and years with the amount they pay.

I left challenger and my new job nets me $3600 every 2 weeks after tax. There's many good jobs out there, as soon as you say you worked at challenger the companies will begging for you.

TheStopSignGuy Thanks this.
  11. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    I'm just entering the industry and $2500 net every 2 weeks is massive to me! I'm coming from minimum wage $900 every 2 weeks. What time of work were you doing at challenger to net you that type of money, i'm a bit confused..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.