changes in HOS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Omega7777, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    anyone heard of this ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I've seen some click bait on facebook, but that's about it, but if you think you'll make more money with this unknown new regulations, then think again. Government only ####s you

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2019
    Reason for edit: Skirting profanity filter
  4. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    FMCSA is planning an overhaul after the failure of Elogs.

A couple of us who supported Elogs did so for this reason, we seen it coming years in advance. Elogs created a hazard because there is no flexibility in our hours of service. So myself and a few others sat down and predicted this all would happen.

Elogs made mandatory
    Kicking and screaming and crying.
    Increased accidents and rushing
    Drivers being bullied to run illegal
    Exemptions handed out.
    Drop in on time deliveries.
    Fmcsa investigation into cause of accidents.

HOS reform to work with ELD.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Last Oct the FMCSA announced this! The minuta of what they are looking at is in here.

FMCSA officially confirms it’s proceeding with proposal for hours of service overhaul

Woodys, Dan.S and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It will never suit anyone properly.

And here I am thinking back to the 2001 and earlier version as being pretty good as far as HOS is concerned. One gets used to it. As far as the shippers and receivers plus dispatch abuses, you migrate away from that into particular companies or specific good quality freighting. And learned to move away from live loading and unloading with the associated lumper abuses etc. Appointments do not matter in reality. If they were truly important you would have been docked on arrival. Not sit around all day or night waiting for one. Etc.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I submitted comment on the ANPRM last fall and have been following this very closely. I'm hopeful that any potential changes might actually make a little sense this time around. The one that I would personally like to see is the ability to split my sleeper like we used to be able to years ago, and get rid of the 30 min break. But only time will tell what we actually get.

Dan.S, x1Heavy and InTooDeep Thank this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    "On August 23, 2018, FMCSA published an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) seeking public comment on four specific aspects of the HOS rules for which the Agency is considering changes: The short-haul HOS limit; the HOS exception for adverse driving conditions; the 30-minute rest break provision; and the split- sleeper berth rule to allow drivers to split their required time in the sleeper berth."

Yeppers, the details are in the 4 areas listed.

Anyone who is hoping ELD's will be completely scrapped, will be sorely disappointed.

Long FLD, Dan.S, Tombstone69 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just wait, you guys who have been crying about hos being horrible, when the fmcsa gets done, you'll be crying even more ... it will grow into a complex confusing mess with all the experts opinion driving it.

And all they had to do is just go back to the 1962 version that we used until 2003, it worked.

loudtom, Cattleman84 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    When I was on paper I always split sleeper time, 5:30am-10am and 3:30pm-8PM, about the only time not worth driving. Oh yeah, 15mins load and unload.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.