Changing a Cummins ISX Fan Hub

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Koolk, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Koolk

Koolk Bobtail Member

May 19, 2011
    Richmond, BC
    Was just wondering how much work is it to change a fan hub. 2008 KW T800 and Cummins ISX. There is barely enough room to put you hand in there. The Rad is jammed up right on the fan. Their seems to be a noise from the front of the motor. A minor squeek. I removed the belts and it went away. Maybe tensioner or Fan hub. Any input Thanks! Ken

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I would try a tensioner first if your concern is the squeak noise. Tensioner springs do seize up over time and allow the belt to run a bit loose.

Koolk Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You might have to remove the radiator, not sure.

5. The Truckist

The Truckist Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2010
    KoolK,

More than one has slipped and gouged a hole in a radiator trying to get at what you're talking about. Better safe than sorry. A side note...you may be able to loosen/unbolt the top mounts (according to how KW mounts theirs) and loosen the bottom some to allow the radiator to tilt forward enough to work on it. I can do this on my Peterbilts but not sure how KW mounts theirs. The book will say...drain, remove, etc.

Here's a link to a good parts interchange for heavy duty belts, tensioners from the Gates folks. You can enter your VIN or a part number...try it...you'll like it :)

http://www.vindecipher.com/gates/

I agree with try the tensioner first.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
    Koolk Thanks this.
  6. melpromud

melpromud Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    camden ny
    Be careful. It weighs about 70 pounds. You drop it into the radiator and you will need that to.

7. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Our guys usually secure the hub to the overhead crane. An engine hoist might be able to come in from the side and support that lump of iron! Instantly reminded me of putting a bolt head through the rad of my old Falcon when i was trynig to do the fan hub and water pump without pulling the rad. Lesson learned!

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We try to slip in some cardboard in between the rad and fan to help gaurd a little bit against damage.

9. Koolk

Koolk Bobtail Member

May 19, 2011
    Richmond, BC
    Thanks guys, I never thought it was that heavy. Gonna get the shop to do it. Tech said they tilt the Rad forward to make room. Plus change all the rad hoses and clamps at that time. Quote 2-3 hrs labour. Sounds fair. Thanks for help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.