changing head gasket on paccar mx13 epa 10... help!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by splittero1, Feb 25, 2020.

1. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    We get trucks ran on the dyno at cummins for around 500$ canadian.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Not sure on dyno in Texas, up here in Hoosierland. Did live in Killeen for a bit while in Army. I second making overhead set priority. Besides the barring tool, I have found that a Tee handle Allen wrench and 18MM spark plugs socket with hexhead on socket makes tightening jam nuts easier. Made a special wrench, but spark plugs sockets are much nicer. Trick I learned from Isuzu service manual. With yours seeping water so fast after HG install the first time, hopefully maybe gasket was damaged on install. I wouldn't even think of putting head back on without checking protrusion and having head pressure/cracked check @ machine shop.
    One other thing is after a delete don't lug your engine. It's getting way more oxygen so peak cylinder pressure is higher. Keep RPM's up when working it hard. A boost gauge and pyrometer is a must when it has been modified and you need to drive it more like a mechanical engine.

pushbroom and daf105paccar Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    A picture off said tool might be usefull?

5. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Snap-on Store

I use this pass through socket set for doing valve sets on paccars. Center is open to run a t style allen wrench.
    Paccar rockers sit low in the head so a wrench doesnt fit good.

6. splittero1

splittero1 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2018
    hi... thanks for the additional info.. I have a new problem now.. omg im soo ready to abandon this truck somewhere.. I sure hope you can help me. the truck ran great for two days.. went and picked up a load of wheat .. hauled it to delivery, always watching my turbo gauge, normal max turbo press is abt 37 lbs. mine was going well over 40 then the I would get a sudden drop with the sound that a boot was blowing out. I knew what was causing it. the before turbo pressure sensor was broken. so until I could get a new one I was def watching my gauges trying not to go over 40 lbs on turbo, I also have the torque gauge and the horsepower gauges. watching those as well so as not to exceed the 100% to keep the head pressures down. didn't want to blow another head gasket. truck was running great. delivered that load.. picked up another going to the port in tulsa. got there late.. ran the truck all night while at port while waiting for the am opening time. truck ran great. by the way I got another sensor in tulsa for the turbo.. no more probs with high pressure... { learned something again with that one } so all night truck ran great. delivered load in morning, no probs, ran down to van buran,Ar. for next load. no probs. picked up load started heading west, got into Oklahoma, running low on fuel now so I hopped off interstate at exit 200 for fuel at the loves. all pumps were down. no fuel.. still no probs with truck still always watching horsepower and torque gauges not allowing to exceed 100%. so I pulled out of loves thinking I got enough fuel to get to the next lovesstarted smokin abt 35 miles further west. jumped back on interstate and abt 2 miles down rd started seeing black smoke coming from exhaust. was coming out pretty good. I am one of those guys that was taught not to ever pull over on interstate unless emergency.. so as truck was still running I kept going at a reduced speed .. started looking for next exit. started smoking so bad I decided to stop anyway and pulled over.. truck was kinda leaning over to passenger side. I shut the truck off got out.. flipped the hood. couldn't see anything obvious so got back in tried to start truck but it wouldn't start.. checked under hood again did not see any fuel in separator clear plastic dome. checked tank levels.. all fuel had went to passenger side tank.. so ok called the loves 35 miles west and they brought me 20 gal. put in drivers side tank.. cracked open a few injector lines and primed em up got truck started. headed to nearest exit again. abt 5 miles.. truck is smking like crazy and now hearing a tapping sound pretty loud. like a piston hitting a valve maybe or a rocker coming down hard on one of the bridges or the something like that.. so im thinking dang it I should've waited to do the overhead before heading out.. ive got a barring tool coming this next week.. ordered one asap. well so anyways im trying to figure out what could be causing this new problem. im thinking that it might be an injector stuck open? or could it be a wastegate ? the over head? the black smoke is def laden with diesel truck will even run away if I run it too long and the wind isn't blowing away from hood. ive called the kw dealer in okie city to see if I can have the injectors tested. I can pull them and take em there but they cant do it unless they are installed and they can hook up with computer.. cant hook up to a deleted truck.. so now im searching vids to see how to test for a bad injector, trying to find out what kind of turbo I have and where the waste gate would be to check that and waiting on barring tool to do the overhead.. in the mean time my company im leased to has loaned me all they are gonna.. im gonna have to drive a company truck until I can get this truck running again.

7. splittero1

splittero1 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2018
    hmm saw the pics pretty kool ill try that,

8. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Tapping noise is RPM related? Could be valve train related, should show up on a top set. Injectors can only be tested in the truck. I have been able to do cutout/performance tests on deleted paccars. Turbo is a holset VGT, same as on the ISX's. I would go after the tapping noise first, assuming that will also fix the black smoke issue. The VGT actuator has to be calibrated with a laptop before install, just FYI before you pull it off.
    When you do the topset if a valve is tight (no lash) I would check the valve height against the other valves.

No to jump to the worst possible outcome, but I have had Paccars drop valves then the valve jams up the turbo. Tapping noise and black smoke.

Topset is the first step in diagnostics. Then go from there.

swaan and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Is it black smoking just under load or @ idle too. I am with @pushbroom, sounds valve/camshaft related.

swaan and pushbroom Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.