Changing payrate from per diem

Discussion in 'Werner' started by truckerboy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. truckerboy

truckerboy Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Does anyone know how to go about changing your pay rate from a per diem basis? My husband started driving for Werner and chose the per diem route. He didn't really understand it and couldn't explain it to me, but I thought, after looking at the IRS website that it was the way to go. I have since read in other places what it really means and how it affects drivers income at the end of the year. We want to change it but with Hubby on the road, not really sure how to get it changed. I want to call the pay management people but Hubby says they probably won't talk to me. He really doesn't want to deal with it but may have to. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone ever tried to do this and how hard was it to get accomplished with Werner?

I'll appreciate any feedback!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Hello and Welcome to the Site:) IMHO, your husband would have to make the final decision to convert his pay with his payroll dept. He then would just need to fax a signed letter requesting the change, to the payroll dept. That is, of course, if they offer the option to their drivers. Best of Luck!

4. truckerboy

truckerboy Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2010
    That's what I thought. Werner's website says drivers have the option to do the per diem or not. I guess we'll just have to wait until he gets home in six weeks to change it. It seems, from everything that I have read, companies want to pay per diem, because it is beneficial to them tax-wise. I don't think it's in the drivers best interest though.

Thanks for the input.

:biggrin_25520:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  5. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Use our Search feature to help in your research. We have some very good information, that will be of interest to you, in regards to per diem. I cannot post a link right now, I am m my cell phone. Maybe another member can help. Let us know if you have problems finding the information. I would also like to invite you to visit us in the Ladies Room. We look forward to learning, posting and playing. Best to You

6. Injunjoe

Injunjoe Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Greeneville TN
    Per diem puts more money in your pocket now, (weekly) and, less of a tax break at the end of the year. Just depends on what is best for each individual.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.