Chasing down vibrations, 98 ws 12.7 60 series

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 98 star car, Jun 25, 2016.

1. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Having trouble here. Thrown a lot of money at my truck lately. Still have a vibration while parked. Idles ok. A little rough but not bad. Run the rpms up, starting around 800 a vibration occurs. Worse at 1000, most pronounced at 1200. Seems to fade away at 1500. Clutch in or out while parked no difference.
    Now driving, can feel the same going through the gears and under a load it more pronounced. At highway speed 60-65 there is certainly a harmonic howl, it's not the whistle of the turbo. Not a low rumble per say. Under a load the vibration is there as well. Power delivery is not smooth at all. The motor is not missing, full boost etc. It feels like it's coming from up by the tranny and or clutch.
    While rolling down the road at speed, I take it out of gear and coast in neutral, the vibration is there, harmonic, not a constant. Clutch in or out makes no difference. The motor off, out of gear, coasting, vibrations go away in my opinion.
    Here is a list of what I have done in the last 45 days.
    1. New bw171702 turbo, lost it going up a hill. It threw the exhaust side turbine.
    2. Rebuilt transmission, tower bushings, the whole thing
    3. New not a reman fuller 1850 clutch
    4. Flywheel resurfaced
    5. Power divider rebuilt
    6. New exhaust manifold
    7. All new tranny, motor and cab mounts
    8. Sleeper torque rod re bushed
    9. All new front springs, 3 leaf. Pins, bushings etc (warranty job)
    10. 3 new u joints. Long shaft and short shaft to power divider were rebuilt last fall.
    11. 6 pack of Detroit reman injectors ( all symptoms prior to this are gone, motor miss, rough idle, stumble off the line)
    12. New oil pan
    13. New oil line from block to compressor

My mechanic ran the overhead, inspected the cam and rockers etc. All looks great.
    Harmonic balancer looks good, no indication of failure, no wobbling, no oil leaks

My fuel mileage has increased dramatically. Went from 5.75 to 6.8-6.9 over the last week and a half. I drive 63-65.

Multiple opinions are pointing to something out of balance but where?
    Nothing sounds unusual around the bull gear, no slack etc.

Help, I don't want to miss something crucial here.

Vampire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I would guess a broken spring in the clutch based on everything you stated. I am not a mechanic at all so it's just a guess. Or possibly the input shaft to the transmission. Please let us know what it was when you figure out what it is.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you still have the paper work on injectors ck. how long rebuilder stands behind them?

5. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    The paperwork is at home, I'll check, but I don't think it's the injectors. However, I'm putting the truck on the dyno next week. Will run another cut out test.

6. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Will do, it's got me mad as hell.

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    How many miles on the harmonic balancer?

How many miles on the engine?

Good compression test would eliminate piston ring or valve issues.

If all good in the compression world maybe a injector harness?

Was the vibration there before the clutch replacement?

After rereading your symptoms , what caught my eye is you stated the vibration is more pronounced with a load on it.

This leads me to believe it is a Running condition causing the vibration such as compression bad in one cylinder or a bad injector or injector harness.

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Does the vibration change at all when the fan clutch engages or disengages ?

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Harmonic balancers don't show any signs of wear but do need to be replaced. Detroit says after 500,000 miles or at inframe time.

10. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    1.571 on the motor. In frame at 1.25. I will have the guys next week do the compression test.
    The vibration in my opinion was there before the clutch, yet not nearly as pronounced. That being said, with all new mounts etc, what ever this is, is now isolated and I can feel it more.

11. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    No it does not

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.