Cheap freight ... Or manipulating prices?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Burghardt18, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Not much delivering near my home from Florida, or surrounding area.
    That pays worth while except beer, or water.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burghardt18

Burghardt18 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Thats why I'm here! I have my grain of salt, but there is awealth of information on this site. I appreciate all of you guys feedback.

4. Burghardt18

Sep 29, 2018
    They have came back with more money after I've refused loads, a big part of the reason for this post. It makes me think they are trying to find what I'll accept and only offer me loads paying that much, regardless of the actual price. I hope thats not true.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    If it quacks like a duck,swims like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck.

I can bet you hope it's not true but really you know you're being lied to. Two choices either accept it or move on because they certainly aren't going to change to suit you.

I don't think there's an answer to the cheap freight question, for some it's a low rate home that covers the costs and for others its a diabolical liberty to be quoted such a rate. Work out what suits you and stick to it is my way, everyone is entitled to their own ideas but you dont have to justify your own m.o. .

Burghardt18 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I’m having trouble this week getting any work that will pay over $1.80/mile for a flat. I can still make money at that, but my principles stop me. Just got a call asking me to haul a tarp load 500 miles for $800. I said no thanks. I’ll sit home and lurk on TTR.

Oh, if anyone has loads around the Montana area that need moved, I am totally available :D

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. Burghardt18

Sep 29, 2018
    Hopefully the denials push the prices back up, cause ill probably be sitting as well

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    There’s loads disappearing off the board, so some ####### is hauling them.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. crazyk

crazyk Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Northern MN
    I am about as anti-Trump as one can get but this isn't his doing. Combine the 4% increase in trucks since Spring with inflation and things are bound to slow down.

10. crazyk

crazyk Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Northern MN
    I have a reefer and generally run from MN to IL/IN and that area. It has been crappy the past few weeks. Scary part is the slow season hasn't arrived and we haven't hit a recession. We have added 4% more trucks in the industry since April per Freight Waves.

I have shared advice/opinions back and forth with a broker's agent where I live and they are having an easy time getting loads for poor rates. Everyone I ask says the same thing and I did that simply because I have had two week-long Guard drills in the past 5 weeks so I am out of the loop on things. Thinking about selling my reefer and going back under a large company's authority with my truck since they have the contracts.

Regarding 'cheap freight', the market is the market. If there are 10 trucks and 7 loads, those loads are all going to get moved cheap (see Florida most of the year). If you have fixed costs like a truck and trailer payment, you lose every day you aren't covering those costs even if you lose some. I am seeing rates worse than 2017.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Chicago, IL 100 mile radius - DAT posted 717 trucks lined up for tomorrow to grab 844 posted loads. Too many boats for too few fish. It is so quick.

Burghardt18 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.