Cheat sheet for cdl written test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by krazman, Feb 15, 2015.

1. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    Okay then I just thought I would post a sheet here that can be used to take your written test in case like me you have a bad memory . I believe the written test for permit is closed book bu the cdl test and renewal are open book . I think that endorsement tests may also be closed book . So I made this just as a quick answer sheet easier than looking an answer up in the book .
    Feel free to modify this and add in more answers you fell will be on a test and post it .

STEERING
    - Gearbox, pitman arm, drag link, knuckle , spindle - Steering arm attached to tie rod
    ALCOHOL- .04% First offense 1 year, 3 Y hazmat, 2nd life, OS under .04% 24 hrs - RESULTS IN OVER 20k DEATHS A YEAR - 12oz 5% BEER = 5oz 12% WINE = 1 1/2 oz 80 PROOF
    AIR- 50-90 within 3 min , 120-140 cut off, 85-100 in 45sec
    OIL- 5-20 idle, 35-75 driving ,
    BASIC CONTROL VEHICLE- ACCELERATING,STEERING,STOPPING BRAKING , BACKING
    LOOK AHEAD- 1/4 MILE 1 BLOCK 12-15
    TRIANGLES - WITHIN 10MIN, One Way or Divided hyw behind 10' 100' 200' - - Two Lane Un divided front 100' behind 10' 100' -- HILL CURVE - back up so other drivers can see within 500' - triangle behind 10' 100 to 500' front 100'
    STOPPING DISTANCE- - Perc Dist = dist trav after seeing hazard ( 1 3/4 sec 142' @ 55mph) , - React Dist = Dist trav B4 U brake (3/4 to 1 sec , 61' @ 55mph) - Braking Dist= dist travel while braking ( 216') - Total Stop Dist =419'
    BRAKING SPEED- Double speed 20 to 40mph 4X greater, - triple 9X,- 60mph greater than footbal field, - 55mph 419' to toatl stop, -
    FOLLOWING SPACE- 1 sec every 10' length below 40mph , add 1 sec over 40 mph
    TAILGATERS- Slow down increase following distance
    DIM LIGHTS - 500'
    TIRES - HOT WEATHER 2hrs 100 miles
    STEERING SYSTEM- Hyd fluid, ,gear box,pitman arm ,steering knucle , spindle , steering arm , power steer cylinder , tie rod.
    SUSPENSION PARTS- leaf , shackle , main spring , torque rod , bearing plate
    AIR SUSPENSION PARTS- bellow , u bolts , anchor plate , control arm, i bolt , clamp bolt ,
    RR TRACKS- to cross 14 SEC single - 15 double , , - Stop within 50' not closer than 15'
    CARGO CHECK- 50 miles , 3 hrs 150 miles - responsible for inspecting , recognize overload, proper secure not restricting view or emergency stuff
    TIE DOWNS- Minimum 2 , 1 every 10'
    AIR BRAKES- RED KNOB TRAILER YELLOW KNOB PARK , - Service ( PEDAL) , Parking ( RED KNOB) , Emergency ( YELLOW ( EM SYSTEM USES PARK AND PEDAL i.e. SERVICE ) - CUT IN/OUT 100 - 120 ,Safety Valve 150 , -Spring Brakes 20 TO 30 PSI
    TRACTOR PROTECTION VALVE- Controlled by trailer air , For open/shut protection valve , Closes automatically if pressure drops below 20 - 45 psi I , When closed stops air from escaping , Lets out air from trailer emergency line and applies trailer emergency brakes .
    HYDRAULIC BRAKES - Pump 3 times and hold firm
    DUAL AIR- 85 - 100 psi in 45sec , Single 50 - 90 psi in 3 min , AIR LEAK TEST SINGLE Less than 2 psi in 1 MIN - DUAL Less than 3 psi 1 min - LOW PRESSURE WARNING Must come on B4 air drops below 60 psi , - Knob should pop out if air falls below 20 - 45 psi - TEST Hold pressure @ 90 psi , No more loss than 3 psi in 1 min Single 4 psi 1 min Dual
    SINGLE AIR - 50 to 90 psi in 3 min @ idle
    TIRES- Check in hot weather 2 hrs 10 miles
    WET ROAD
    - Wet roads DOUBLE dist., - CUT SPEED BY 1/3 55 to 35MPH - PACKED SNOW CUT BY 1/2 - ICE to crawl
    FIRE EXTINGUISHER - Type BC 5 Lb or 10 for a hazmat.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Nooniebird Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA

4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    1. There are no open book tests and 2. If you get caught cheating, you're failed instantly..

QuietStorm, mickeyrat and G.Anthony Thank this.
  5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Learn it. Know it. Live it

QuietStorm, mickeyrat, pattyj and 3 others Thank this.
  6. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    the best thing you can do to prepare (other than study the guide) is take some of the many free practice tests available online. They will also give you an idea of what the test is like. JMO, but you may be putting too much emphasis on memorizing numbers.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    If you can't remember the rules on a test, how are you going to remember them when you are driving around one of my kids or grandkids?

QuietStorm, pattyj, G.Anthony and 6 others Thank this.
  8. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    they give written and computer tests here . I never used a book in this county as long ago they stopped having open book for class C but a driver where I worked said to go to another county and they allow open book . It says on the website that permit tests are closed book . Says nothing about regular tests and it says endorsements are closed book .
    Another odd thing I notice all over is that there are a lot of practice tests . None I have seen even come close to the real test . Many questions not covered . I actually paid 15 last night straight from the dept revenue cdl site here for 100 practice question s they say will allow to pass test . WRONG ! no questions about lengths time to stop , dui suspension times , death tolls , brake test times psi .. a lot of things that are on this test . Our test is I think 143 I think questions long . Very ridiculous . No one needs to know penalties for tickets or death tolls do to speeding ... to drive . Should not be on the test . Of course they also have things like check your load after 25 miles which we all know is now wrong it is 50 . but you get it wrong if you answer it right here .

Well anyway even if you can not use this in the test it makes a good quick read before taking it while you are waiting . I read the book 2 times before going to bed , once in morning and once right before I walked in the door and failed it 2 times on the computer and then took written test and passed , or maybe just allowed to pass who knows . But it should be open book . I did not pass it and I get NO tickets . clean mvr almost the time . One ticket when first started driving . 8 years now .

9. CBayFisher

CBayFisher Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Parksley, VA
    Open book test? you must be joking. Never had a open book test at DMV, Ever! Even before tests were given on computer they weren't open book. Just learn the info in the study guide that your state provides and take the test.

10. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    How do you know the questions from DOT don't come close if you haven't taken the test?

11. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    I do not know if different states have different tests but ours have a lot of crazy questions with numbers , facts ... this sis why I posted this . If people will add to it the questions that have less obvious answers that are on tests they have taken it will aid people in studying for their test . My memory is not good enough to remember exactly what was on the tests that I did not really know the answers to but I put in the ones that I thought would be helpful.
    I will try and remember some more of the difficult ones when I go take my test in a few days . They should give up the test results when you get an answer wrong so you can review that . But they refuse to .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.