Check engine light is on

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Bobaduke, May 10, 2024.

1. Bobaduke

Bobaduke Bobtail Member

May 10, 2024
    Took my truck to rush truck center to get a check engine, light and diagnostics done everything is is running Fine they can’t seem to figure it out. They clear the codes.but it keeps come back

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bobaduke

Bobaduke Bobtail Member

May 10, 2024
    Sorry this my first time posting thank u for any help I have a 2021 389 an not sure what to now I had a check engine lit then DEF lit then derate to the truck to Peterbilt two of the codes had to do with after treatment, but when they checked it on the computer the codes on the way I got the truck back to see the lit on again took the truck back to get the wire harness and all connections, checked and check, engine light still on but I noticed that the coolant temperature is high

4. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    Hello-
    I suppose you've already fixed the problem by now, but perhaps this will be some helpful info.
    This is straight from the Operator's Manual: I assume you have a Paccar MX-13.
    "Check Engine Lamp - Turns on when a problem exists, but the vehicle can still be safely driven. Vehicle should be serviced to correct the problem but the situation should not be considered an emergency. The lamp will also illuminate when a DPF regeneration or addition of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is required. Another function of the check engine lamp is to warn the operator of an impending idle shutdown. When the idle shutdown timer is 30 seconds from expiring, the ECM begins flashing the check engine warning lamp once per second. When the timer expires, the ECM will turn off the warning lamp and shut down the engine."
    Emphasis mine.

Regarding the coolant temperature- it will rise according to drive conditions, example, climbing a hill and/or with a heavy load. This is normal.
    Make sure it's topped off, no leaks.

And just in case, also from the Operator's Manual:
    "Roadside Assistance Call toll-free to talk to someone at the PACCAR Customer Center: • Kenworth customers call: 1-800KW-Assist (1-800-592-7747) | Peterbilt customers call: 1-800-4Peterbilt (800-473-8372) • Open 24-7-365 days a year. • They can help you get roadside assistance. • They have a custom mapping system which locates authorized PACCAR engine dealers and Independent Service Providers (ISPs) near you and lists types of services offered, hours of operation and contact information. • They can assist with jump and pull starts, tires, trailers, fines and permits, chains, towing, hazardous clean-up, out of fuel (roadside), mechanical repairs and preventive maintenance services. • They have multilingual agents and access to a translation service to ensure quality assistance for customers in any language. • They can’t answer your warranty questions, but can get you in contact with an authorized dealer who can. • The PACCAR Customer Center service is FREE."
    Emphasis mine.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    5UG

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    If it runs ok . Hammer down

5UG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.