check trans light flashing

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by selinrosa, Dec 20, 2020.

1. selinrosa

selinrosa Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    My truck is a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia automatic, with a DD 15 engine and Eaton fuller transmission, has 550,000 miles on it.
    Recently the "check engine " light started flashing occassionally, normally at gear 7. And when i switched it to N , the light was gone, but comes back again. It used to appear once or twice a day, but not gets more often. Anyone has idea what the problem is? shall i get transmission fluid change or have it inspected first?
    thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Transmission fluid had zero to do with transmission function. The Eaton is not a true automatic. Its just a regular manual transmission with electronic actuators to shift it and operate the clutch.

Without giving us a fault code, we don't have much to go off of unfortunately.

4. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    Thanks. My truck is not showing any fault code. Is there anything I can do or have to take it to a shop and have them use a computer to retrieve the code?

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Have the shop scan codes, pay attention to any that may indicate a fluctuating alternator. Especially if it shows voltage spikes.

selinrosa Thanks this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Sometimes cycling key switch 2 times fast off/on/off/on will show flash codes on gear selection display. Not sure on FL. 25 is no codes present.

I would suggest getting hooked up. Even with a fault code, in depth troubleshooting will most likely be needed.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    With some of the newer engines with all that computer similation a computer glitch can sometimes create a warning signal I will sometimes switch off the isolation switch leave it off for a couple of minutes then switch it back on let everything reboot and see if the warning light is still on if its gone it was most likely a computer glitch if not then there is an issue with the engine I'd check all the fluids sometimes it could be something as simple as the temperature gauge wire coming lose I had a cracked fan belt which had tore off the temperature connection wire causing the alarm to go off a minor repair however caused some major alarms to go off.

8. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    I actually just found the "diag" on the dash as shown by one of the youtubers, but there is no fault code at all.

9. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    i'm sorry to bug you. But i just used the method "turn the key on/ff six times" to retrieve my fault code, and it shows 21.Do you have ideas what that could be? thanks

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Ultra shift plus? Which trans?

FC 21 = auto netral park brake switch.

selinrosa Thanks this.
  11. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    eaton fuller 13 automatic, smart shift.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.