Checking In, First Introduction

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Ray 1104, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Ray 1104

Ray 1104 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2023
    Hello Everyone.

I've been lurking around here since January. After spending months reading various articles on topics here I'm interested in, I decided to make my own account and introduce myself to join the community.

I would like to continue to learn about this industry and I'm hoping to get some advice on my job search.

I am a new commercial driver as I graduated from 160 Driving Academy in Houston, TX on March 24th, 2023 with my CDL - A: combination, air-brakes, and standard transmission. I have had a clean driving record since 1999. No moving violations. No accidents.

I have a felony background with a conviction date of March 2017. I am currently on parole, having successfully completed 36 of 60 months. I have the blessing of my PO but, until I am discharged in June 2025 I am required to be home daily. I can leave the county and even the state of Texas, but I must return home every day. I am not on any type of electronic monitoring. My charges were not related to drugs or alcohol.

Since the end of March, I have applied to numerous carriers in my area and spoken to many recruiters but, as of yet, I haven't had one interview. Because of that, I decided to get my tanker endorsement to give me a better chance and be more marketable. I earned my "N" endorsement on May 24th.

I am from the north side of Houston, TX. zip code 77379 and would prefer to work from a location relatively close to me. I consider Channelview, Pasadena, and Deer Park quite far, being about a 1.5 to 2-hour drive from home under normal traffic conditions. (Ideally, I'd like to stay north of 610).

A twic card and hazmat training are out of my budget currently. I don't know enough to have a preference on the type of driving I'd like to do yet, so I've applied to everything from vehicle transporters to non-haz tankers to the local grocery distributors and flat-bed operations. I would like to learn as much as I can and I'm not afraid to work hard.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

I'm glad I found this forum. I think it's a great community. If nothing else, I've learned a lot already.

Concorde, Numb and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Food Service probably your best bet.
    You probably already applied with Labatt Foodservice, right?

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The overall freight market has deteriorated markedly since the spring of last year.

So your lack of success/progress thus far with trucking may not be ALL your fault.

Some good news: I would offer that TEXAS is as good a place as any in the "lower 48" to look for...and find...a CDL-A job.

Going forward from now--get all the CDL endorsements that you can. More endorsements open up more potential opportunities for you. And right now--you NEED that. o_O

-- Lual

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Food Service Companies
    Waste Management Companies
    Beverage Companies
    All pay very well, with good benefits, and are home every day.
    Most hire felons.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sysco is one of the better paying foodservice companies.
    $77G - $100G per year.
    US0067 Sysco Houston (Division of USA I)
    • Recent driving school graduates welcome
    upload_2023-6-1_19-36-2.jpeg

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Compensation: Starting pay $22-25 per hour + benefits
    We are hiring Class A CDL Drivers for our rapidly expanding needs. Opulent Transport is seeking enthusiastic, motivated Class A CDL drivers based out of Houston, TX for the Amazon Freight Partner Program. As a CDL Driver, you will deliver, using Amazon Equipment and technology, on daily, local routes that have you home after each shift. Our deliveries vary from 100% no touch freight (drop and hook only) to live loads. These local routes are roughly 300-500 miles round trip. You will not be employed by Amazon, instead, you will be working directly for a local transportation company that partners with Amazon.

If you have a valid CDL A license, are at least 21 years of age with a clean driving record, then we want you to apply now. We are making on-the-spot job offers contingent on meeting eligibility and background check requirements.
    Please continue your application by clicking here Transportation Compliance Services USA (TCS USA) Regards, Opulent Transport, LLC

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keurig Dr Pepper
    Houston, TX
    High school diploma or GED. Let me know if you need either; easy fix.
    • No previous experience is required and Drivers will receive hands-on training upon hire.
    Shift and Schedule
    • Monday through Friday
    • 5:00am until route is finished
    • Flexibility to work overtime and weekends as needed
    • Local routes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.