Chemo and My CDL

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by 270-EMT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST--my wife was diagnosed w/bone cancer 6 years ago--and not given much chance--but she is still fighting__I know every case is different--but hang in and keep fighting!! and know there are those of us out here who will always be pulling for you.
    As for working I think the way you described it is wonderful--kudos for your company working with you and to you for getting out and trying to feel good about yourself and staying active--I know from experieince when a supplement or 2 were added to my wife's treatments--she had a much easier time of it(forgive me for not knowing what they were off hand--to busy taking care of her@time to keep up with all the drug names--besides they were only administered@hospital by professionals)Once she started tolerating her treatments better and could start to add some activities to her life--her health(not to mention her attitude and strenght)changed dramatically--In her case it was usually getting to babysit out newest grandson on days she felt good--but what a wonderful difference it made in her life!
    So keep up the good work--keep fighting!! We are pulling for you! God Bless!:biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Patricksgirl

Patricksgirl Light Load Member

It is great that your company is working with you. Fast healing wishes are sent your way for that port!

4. nick.ogborn

nick.ogborn Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2020
    I will add to this, I am 35 years old. I am a heavy Equipment Field Mechanic and drive a Kenworth service truck. I am also a Soldier in the National Guard, Fit and healthy. I am also Currently taking treatment for Hodgkin Lymphoma which has been dragging on for 6 months. I have had just mild side effects, other than that I have been feeling great, driving and repairing machinery the whole time all the while participating in my military duties. My DOT Physical is due in 3 weeks and I am worried that the examiner will fail me ending my career for now. Has anyone dealt with cancer and the DOT Physical?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We are cancer survivors and there is NO way we would even work or drive under Chemo. Forget it. Our chemos are brutal. And when its finished the body is essentially poisoned for two weeks and begins to recover on the third just in time for the next chemo times 9 over 6 months.

There is no one on earth capable of doing the work in trucking and endure chemo at the same time. There is no energy in it for that. It's for lack of a better word "Foolish" The one thing that Chemo did for my spouse was erase her mentally for 7 years. I had to carry her for everything for that time until she finally woke up about the 8th year after and was able then to assume the finances, and running the house etc. and all the details that go with it including working. But until that 8th year she in her mind from the chemo was incapable of very much. Like someone who has way too much to drink and cannot get sober. Trucking? no way.

If the cancer returned, its hospice when it's time. We went through it one time. We are not doing that again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.