Chicago Intermodal Runner...

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Aug 17, 2014.

1. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Hey ya'll.

I currently reside in Chicago and work for a company called Kiswani based out of South Holland, IL. Great company.

My primary job is regional runs which get me home everyday. Of course, we have local drivers who prepare the load for us 98% time by getting the container back to the terminal(AWESOME..). But once in a while, we're required to head to a railyard to pickup the container. Most of the time it's just regional runs but I've asked to try out the "CROSSTOWN" gig and it's great. I work at night and run from RAIL to RAIL hauling containers. It's my bread and butter and I wouldnt give it up for the world. Despite the issues that come with it, it's hot right now and will continue to be hot as Intermodal in Chicago is HUGE.

Why did I get into it?
    I was a rookie and applying to companies. I had family members that work at this Company and they had nothing but good things to say about them. They took me under their wing, trained me for about a week with the rails and even let me practice on their trucks. 4 years later, still kicking it and going strong.

Here is a list of rails that I've been too.
    http://www.loadmatch.com/directory/terminals.cfm?city=CHI

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    We'll one thing is for sure if you need the contact information for this company they can be found on Craigslist daily with an add...

Are they paying you any type of benefits JJKid? How about your pay is it 10-99 or W-2? Just curious

Thanks

4. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    They're in the works of giving 401K. But, they offer Health Insurance & Disablity Insurance. Besides that, they have a great safety incentive program.. which i'm sure every company does in some way. For passing Level 2 &3 inspections - it's a $175 bonus, level 1 is a $275 bonus, referral bonus, driver training bonus, ect.. I'm on 1099. Yeah, I know the cons of 1099 and the hate for it but I can live with it. I dont think there's a intermodal company out there that is W2 in the Chicago area with the exception of the "BIG MEGA" Carriers, lol. I could be wrong though and probably am, im sure there is.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I don't mean to be a wet blanket, or squelch your enthusiasm, but there's a big difference in "offering" health ins. and " health ins. included". Also 1099 is a huge pain, and there never seems to be enough money for 1/4ly taxes, and with penalties and interest, it turns into a huge scam, and the company is off the hook, which is why many companies are going that route, I think, at least for me, it was a pain.
    Crosstown isn't a bad gig,( as long as there's no portables) however, the problem comes in when you actually pull that junk down the road, and try and cross a scale. When I pulled containers, I never would go over a scale, as many of these chassis don't have sliders on their tandems, and 80% were overweight, as the chassis and the container with a sleeper truck, could easily be 36K or more empty, and then they put 44 or 45K in the box. If I was going to stay with it,(did it for almost 5 years) I'd have gotten my own aluminum spread axle chassis, and the heck with their heavy, tube tire, no brakes, no slider tandem junk.

6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Semi, I understand what you're saying.

Also, as far as the crosstown goes.. they have me using a spread axle/triaxle to do my crosstowns. Saves me headache, time and potetional tire bills from rail mechanics.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey JJ, that helps. Another thing I used to hate, was get a box lifted and have to take the chassis back to a container yard, then bounce over to another container yard, pick up another chassis and go to a rail yard and pick up a box. You could spend 3 hours doing that, for free.:biggrin_25513:

8. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4193800]Hey JJ, that helps. Another thing I used to hate, was get a box lifted and have to take the chassis back to a container yard, then bounce over to another container yard, pick up another chassis and go to a rail yard and pick up a box. You could spend 3 hours doing that, for free.:biggrin_25513:[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ who did you work for? You should've got paid something for that. Break down, crosstown move, detention, ie something for those 3 hours.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ha, yeah, one of the negatives of having your own truck. That didn't happen a lot, but when it did, it sucked. I made a lot of mistakes when I had my own truck, glad that's over.

10. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    JJKid are they ever looking for Part time rail help??...I live right nexzt to south holland and have been to quite a few yards..not as many as u though...

11. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I know they are looking for strictly crosstown drivers only full time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.