Chicago intermodal

Discussion in 'Swift' started by arkanstigers, Aug 13, 2017.

1. arkanstigers

arkanstigers Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Does anyone have experience with this? I am currently on target dedicated in the northeast. I would like to move to Chicago as I like to live in a large city. From what I can tell running intermodal has you home every day. Anyone on this account or have any experience that could fill me in a bit?

albert l Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    #### ports and rail yards.

4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Hmmmm.... Let me see, Living in overly expensive city of Chicago on a Swift salary... Where in Chicago do you plan on living?

Highway_Executive Thanks this.
  5. arkanstigers

Apr 23, 2017
    South side? My friend pays 1050 for a 2 bed now. I'm used to Boston prices. I make 44 cents a mile on swift dedicated at around 2500-3000 miles a week.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  6. #1Phantom309

#1Phantom309 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I can give u some sideline obervations and old experance .I had 4 trucks on with road one about 5 years ago and was barley making payroll. Now if your talking company driver I see alot of drivering jobs for around 20$a hour home everyday.if they pUT u out regonal pay would be differant but they still try to get you home every day.schnider and swift are boasting 70 and 80 k a year jobs,hard to believe.but it's all over the board here.best place to look at local chicago jobs is craigslist, jobs,transport.
    One good thing about rail work here is all new rail yards are being bilt outside of chicago city so you might not have to deal with city driving......hope that helps.....good luck.....any other questions about chicago just hit me up

jvar4001 Thanks this.
  7. #1Phantom309

#1Phantom309 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2017
    If you move here live around joliet,yards are close and rent is cheap.....

8. arkanstigers

Apr 23, 2017
    Thanks man! One of my good friends is living in Chicago now so I would have someone with common interests to show me around. I've lived in cities all my life (mostly Boston and providence) and really miss it, but need some place new. From what I can tell I should be able to find a room open in an apartment with some other young people for 600-800 a month, which is doable. Im going to just give a call to swift out there and see what the deal is. I would love to work local and get to enjoy city life, even if it is with a pay cut.

9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Why not look at smaller hourly pay companies in Chicago versus a mega company? Plenty of them.

10. arkanstigers

Apr 23, 2017
    I guess just because the idea of staying with my company and transferring seems more comfortable and safe with the geographical change and all. I feel like moving with out having a job is a bad idea, and getting hired while living out of state may be tricky too. Most likely I would move, stay with swift or go Schneider and then see if I can find something better with a small company. My plan is to wait until April, save till then and with saving and my tax return as a nest egg make the move while employed by swift. I will also have one year experience at this point.

JOHNQPUBLIC, VIDEODROME and HalpinUout Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.