Chicago Low Clearance Map

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bigredinternational, May 25, 2008.

1. V8-MACK

V8-MACK Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I just quit running into the railyards 3 weeks ago. I went back otr like a fool,just quit dropped a empty trl, then bobtailed over 800 miles.To turn the truck in. Monday I,m back to the Chicago railyards,I miss the action of the city and other stuff. There,s over 1,700 low viaducts in the great city of Chicago,not including the burbs. It,s really not that big of a deal, all you have to do, is memorize the low viaduct map and thousands of streets.haha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Just remember that you can go under the viaduct on 79th street east of Western w/o a trailer but not when you have one. I ran chicago rail yards for 5 years and can't tell you how many Pacella trucks i saw trying to do a U-turn on 79th once they realized this LOL

4. Dino1968

Dino1968 Light Load Member

True story here. Friend of mine sent a driver into Chicago with a new Pete[ 3rd load] and brand new spring ride reefer. Weell this dude saw an overpass that was marked 13' 7", he eases up to it, see's he can make it, and proceeds on through. After he got his load off, he came back the same way ,well guess what with the load off, his trailer came up 2" !!. Said driver reasons to self,I made it going in, I can just fly through going out :biggrin_25512: Yep big crunch sound as roof of trailer left it's mark on that overpass !! Than to top it off, he's sitting under the overpass stuck, the cops there doing wat they do best,and a car came flying past and smacked the side of that brand new Pete yet to boot. Think I'd just have to bang my head on the wall fro a few days after that. End of story, City of Chicago had mislabeled the overpass, it should have been 13' 5". My friend claimed the City was gonna have to pay for the whole thing, altho I'd believe that when I see it.

5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That sounds like the exit for Stoney Island Ave off I-94 on the south side. 13'7" going in (north) and 13'5" coming out (south) happens almost daily.

6. Armored1

Armored1 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Crazy, I'm a student, and in the past never paid attention.

Now when driving my 4x4, I notice every viaduct and overpass.
    It's amazing how much more you pay attention, even when I am driving my 4x4 I act like I'm driving a truck.

My whole driving style has changed.

Armored

7. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I'm trying to find this now, since I am pulling from the rail yards on the south side!

I was following the company directions when the GPS yelled, "WARNING! VERTICAL CLEARANCE VIOLATION!" But the driveway for the receiver was right before the underpass.

It wasn't even that low... It said 13'-6" EXACTLY! I cleared it easily, even empty... Of course all the concrete facia was taken down. Or knocked off...

I am going to delve into the city of chicago web site to try to find the 80 page pdf.

Mikeeee

8. Turtles

Turtles Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2011
    What you want is http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com When you zoom in, all of the SM and LM posted structures are marked, as well as all three classes of truck routes. It's statewide, and includes temporary weight restrictions.

Turtles

9. Pmracing

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Thank you. That is not bad. Maybe a bit hard to navigate on the phone while in the truck pre planning.

I did find the list of viaduct/underpasses on the chicago page. But the link is broken...

Mikeeee

10. Pmracing

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Polarbear Thanks this.
  11. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.