@Chinatown is the Greatest

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mooseontheloose, May 19, 2022.

1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Yes, Chinatown is indeed a Treasure....especially for new(er) drivers coming into the trucking world....but....

total disclosure: cryo tanker jobs (at least with the major suppliers) do not pay six figure salaries here in the deep South.

At least....yet.

If I'm wrong--someone else please.....correct me.

But I have seen no evidence of such thus far, in my searches.

--Lual

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    A coworker is transferring to Mims,FL.
    Starts after 4th of July holiday.
    He will start at the bottom of seniority list at $30 per hour.
    Near 20% less than up north but cost of living is cheaper and he will no longer deal with winter woes. He thinks it's a wash.
    At a 20 percent cut he should be at 100+ if he works the same hrs as me.

4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Well yes and no. I agree that the direct approach is best. Look them in the eye and size them up and let them do the same. It's worked for me so far. But nowadays it's hard to find out about companies and figure out who is worth working for. Truck stop lunch counters are a thing of the past.

This is the type of information that is so valuable. How is a driver to know that reffer pays less than ltl or cryo if they have no one to ask? I'm working at getting my recent experience together so I can apply to a cryo company near me. If I hadn't found out what the job requirements are I wouldn't know what I need to be doing to get hired.
    Thanks Chinatown and the TTR. I do appreciate the help.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Trust me when I say this....but central & south FL is very much a different world from GA, AL, MS, TN, & the Carolinas.

But thanks anyway....:D

--Lual

6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Hey @Chinatown
    Kilgore in Magna UT is looking for local drivers and they pay $23h to start. Home daily. 60-70 hours a week in the summer and they still get 40 in the winter. No sitting. And they pay OT.
    Pass it on good sir.

I like them alot but I'm working towards Praxair if I can. Otherwise I'd be at Kilgore now myself.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Kilgore Companies
    That one looks good. Website doesn't show how much, if any, experience is required. Probably best to just apply and see what happens.
    Big outfit ---> LOCATIONS - UT/ID/CO/NV/WY
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

He really helps people find the right job. If you've ever been trapped in a bad job or desperate with no job, you will know how valuable finding a good company to work for can be. Three cheers for @Chinatown

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Okay, I'll eat a little crow, certainly not the 1st time in this business, I did a little research, and I'm simply appalled. Cryogenic tanker drivers do INDEED make about $2,200/week. Some other drivers pay of note, Buster Brown, who used to be the absolute ZENITH for pay, about $65 grand, a Safeway driver, the 2nd most highest pay in my time, at around the same, seems most driving jobs hover around $30- $35/hour, and me, who made a paltry $35 grand for doing essentially the same thing, and don't give me this "hazardous" pay crap, I did plenty of "hazardous" things before they were even known as hazardous.
    Now, lets put things in perspective, and why I'm so upset. I realize a cryogenic tanker driver is not for the poor schmuck that can't figure out how an air brake works, they are top of the line, they have to be, like a suicide jocky, the stuff they haul can kill, BUT, and here's the frustration, you aren't worth TWICE what a LEO has to put up with, nor THREE TIMES what someone in the healthcare field does holding someones hand as they die, I'm sorry, aside from the inherent dangers of the job, you are still "just a truck driver", and for the record, cryogenic drivers haul to food plants, manufacturing, etc, in a depression, and it's coming BECAUSE of such out of whack salaries, with plant shutdowns immenent, guess who will be sitting. Sorry for the rant, it may be an "old timers" view, but are we any better today, $110 grand/ year is what it takes to live? Pixx poor,, no wonder we're in deep trouble.
    Oh, one more thing, yes, Chinatown does provide a service, but in MY day, only the crummy companies were looking for a driver. The reason there's an opening is someone else got pixxed off and quit. The "good" companies never had to advertise. I guess that's just not true today.

10. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
  11. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland

Congratulations!!!! This is what TRR is about! Truckers helping other truckers, not the arguing and name calling that some participate in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.