Chinese trailers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zinita17601, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Pay me 10% and I will travel to China and do maotai shots and sing loud karaoke to get the deal done.

m16ty Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    While I agree that Chinese quality has come a long ways in recent times, I would argue, that its not quite there yet. I think they are more than capable of the quality, but I wouldn't trust them to put their best foot forward. I'm thinking that they don't have a problem playing around with material specs when they don't think there would be a problem. I had to re-make some parts that were spec'd with the a particular grade of steel, and it was seriously lacking. Everything else about the parts was spot on. I think I'd give them another 20 or 30 years for more "check and balances" to be added to the systems before I would trust them with a trailer... especially one that is meant to carry any weight.

Lepton1 and m16ty Thank this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    It still has to meet DOT regulations. I know people who imported cars from Japan that can't get them registered due to non DOT approved safety items. The DOT bumper on the trailer comes to mind

6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    It's a whole lot easier to get a trailer in DOT compliance that it is to get a car to be DOT and EPA compliant.

Cars have to pass have all kinds of driver and passenger safety and you also have the EPA to deal with on emissions.

The main problem with a trailer would be getting a title and then an registration.

The trailer I was looking at was highly specialized ( Goldhofer clone) and would be a lot easier to get registered than a regular flat or van.

CharlieK and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Last year I used a piece of equipment in Chile that I purchased in the U.S. for $300,000 that was designed in Canada and built in China. Still with me? Yeah, it had issues. At first glance it looked and worked "okay." However, once we started using it there were lots of little things wrong that shouldn't have been. One of the most maddening things were the fittings that should have been universal and worked with all other fittings of similar design, regardless of origin... they didn't.

Toomanybikes and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Have you looked into Faymonville?

9. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    Agree Chinese made equipment can be hit and miss, I've got a good friend who has run nothing but cat excavators for years but has shifted over to sany the past couple of years and has been happy with it, most of the parts are genuine USA made or Japanese with a Chinese built boom/chassis. But as not4hire mentioned the do some odd ball #### that leaves you scratching your head.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes the trailers would have to meet US road saftey standards and pass any required tests just like everyone else, I mean everything in the US is made in China isn't it? Why not a trailer? And there cheap because workers over there only get paid about a 1/3 of the wages of a US worker.

11. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the price of a trailer made in China, vs its equivalent trailer made in the US? Flatbed or Step deck, not specialized trailers like @m16ty was talking about...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.