Chiropractors can sign the DOT physical?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by The Patriot, May 12, 2016.

1. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Was looking at my latest DOT exam card which I went my usual doctor to get and noticed they have a block for Chiropractors to check should they give the physical...
    May I ask how in the hell a Chiropractor is medically qualified to give a physical...let alone a DOT one?
    Chiropractors are not medical doctors. They primarily treat back pain, but they claim to treat a wide range of other conditions.....which some of them believe are related to mis-alignments of the spine...called subluxations. This belief has no scientific basis either.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Ah but they are medical doctors. Mine has been done by a chiropractor the last 2 times. It does not take a rocket scientist to check for sugar in the urine and take a blood pressure reading. Hell, he is the reason I discovered that I was diabetic this last time.

He would not give me the card until I had gone to a physician and was tested and being treated based on the test results.

OldeSkool and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They are doctors.

Whoever signs a DOT Card to give you one after looking you over per DOT medical rules usually places his or her number on that form as well. So that if something happens in the time you hold that card that doctor will be called up to the carpet to explain what he or she found, or did not find.

5. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    As long as they are on file with the DOT as an approved medical practitioner, then they can give a DOT physical. And chiropractors go to school every bit as long as an MD.

upallnite and flood Thank this.
  6. The Patriot

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Wrong...wrong and especially wrong DragonTamerBrat....they do not have the training as real doctors...nor do they have to be in college as long.
    Knew one when I was in school for Anthropology/Archaeology and he had the same years I did in my fields... A medical doctor (MD) and a chiropractor (DC) while different, have both received a degree from a government accredited medical school or chiropractic college and are licensed to practice. But that's where the similarity ends because each discipline looks at health and healing in very different ways....
    In short Chiropractors are viewed by most legitimate physicians as quacks....and by many of us educated people as well..... Only the federal government would view these quacks as qualified to give these type exams I guess.
    I bet eventually we can get tribal witch doctors....who are more legitimate than chiropractors...to give exams... ;)

7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    They can give DOT physicals because they passed a short test from the government, but more importantly because they have paid a fee to take that test and then pay more every year to stay "qualified " by the government. I asked my regular doctor about it, and this was more or less the answer.

Tb0n3 and The Patriot Thank this.
  8. The Patriot

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Darn....guess I might want to look into this then....I mean holding the degrees I do and my knowledge of human anatomy.....I could make some side money...hehehehe

9. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I asked because I was amazed by the fact that I now have to go to a clinic, or a chiropractor to get my DOT, my regular doctor is too much a businessman, and wont pay the fee because there isn't enough ROI

AZ Pete and The Patriot Thank this.
  10. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    I see people who are not doctors but took the test and got certified by fmsca to administer the test, they do it mobile and are on the fmsca website so I think anyone can do it.

Tb0n3 and The Patriot Thank this.
  11. The Patriot

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Yep that's what I am taking from all this....sad really.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.