Choice Program with Schneider, a couple questions

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by tetransport, Mar 19, 2019.

1. tetransport

tetransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2018
    I have done a search already and looked for this answer and didn't find it.
    My husband is currently with Melton but he's seriously considering the Choice program with Schneider so he can get his own truck. We have considered other options but we'd never be able to come up with a huge down payment to go through a finance company. We like the fact that with the Choice program he's his own boss. We haven't heard enough bad things to scare us away. I've read a few threads from other drivers who have done it, have watched youtube videos, etc.
    But does he apply to drive with Schneider first, then the SFI to get his truck?
    When he gets hired on does Schneider pay for health insurance or is that all on us? Same with truck insurance? Is there insurance offered through the finance company or Schneider?
    I filled out the contact form, now we are just waiting to find out more.

We have experience with finding our own loads, we did hotshot and he has 5 years OTR experience but to us it seems like a good deal. Our plan is to lease for a year, in that year save up enough to buy a truck from a finance company then run under our own authority.

Atlaw4u Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    All insurance - personal and business - is on you.

You apply for sfi/sni at the same time.

If you can't save enough for a down payment as a company driver I highly doubt you will be able to save enough in one year as a Choice driver. There is a 50% one year washout rate. Between learning lanes, learning truck costs, personal health insurance, taxes, and a couple of bonehead errors (it happens to everyone), the likelihood is you will earn the same or less as a company driver.

faux_maestro, Opus and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. tetransport

tetransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2018
    But he would be considered an independent contractor? What kind of business insurance would he need?

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Bobtail, and physical damage (collision) on the tractor......to start.

7. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    All the plates, registration, ifta, permits and all truck insurance are through Schneider. Of course you can get all of that on your own but no sense except maybe the truck insurance if you want to maybe save a little money over the convenience of just running it through them. They also have OAI (occupational accident insurance) through Schneider. Of course the OSR at Charlotte that ran the orientation was an idiot and he just tried to blow through everything as quickly as possible answering as few questions as possible. When we were going through the truck insurance portion and signing all the documents he’s just like “you either want the coverage or you don’t”. Physical damage/collision insurance ranged from $75-$100 a week. The other ignoramuses in orientation were complaining about the cost so the OSR told us to just decline it. Of course I finally spoke up (which irritated him) and said how can we decline collision coverage if we’re leasing Schneider finances equipment? He didn’t have an answer so I explained to the group that they needed the coverage. Then the white out was brought in and they had to redo their contracts while the OSR was grumbling looking at his watch. So be careful lol

As far as health insurance, they did offer insurance through TrueNorth when I was there a few years ago. Of course you had to set up and handle it yourself, but it was run through and the premiums were automatically deducted and paid to them by Schneider out of the settlement. Not sure if they still offer that or what the cost is now since premiums are skyrocketing but in 2014/15 it was cheap as hell as far as I’m concerned and my out of pocket was low, although I didn’t use it very much at the time. Of course I was single no kids so I have no idea about cost of family plans.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    faux_maestro Thanks this.
  8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    True north is paid directly by driver to bank drafts..no more settlement deductions...

stevep1977 Thanks this.
  9. Sandwich

Sandwich Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Are you still in the Choice program? I'm looking at the tanker choice program because they have a terminal about 60 miles from my home that does a lot of tanker work. I don't see a lot of SNI vans around south Louisiana though; what' the freight like in the New Orleans area?

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I don't know about tankers, but I can tell you that right now is not a good time to go Choice. Van rates are straight up awful.
    Personally, I'd wait until the economy get back up and running before I did anything at all for anyone.
    Right now is not a good time to jump anywhere.

Good luck

jsnell Thanks this.
  11. Sandwich

Sandwich Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Yeah, it's a terrible time, especially in my town, it's oil field dependent and I just got laid off from a great paying 7&7 job, I quite driving 8 years ago. The only job skill I have besides driving experience is only worth anything in the oil field.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.