Christmas at Werner

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by crabby125s girl, Nov 30, 2009.

1. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    ALWAYS use the qualcom for something as important as that. You have to remember that each DP has a lot of drivers that he/she talks to everyday.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Sounds to me more like co-driver doesnt have anything to go home for and wants the BF of yours to stay on the road with him (to keep him company).

CR England had bonus pay for their drivers that were out from December 25 to Jan 1. No idea about werner. Good luck tho, frankly I would tell BF to park it and come home.

4. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    As far as I know the only thing you will get for working over the holiday period is paid for the miles you run. It may vary depending on your division, region or account, best to ask FM, but I would not get my hopes up. The past two years I have worked the week of Christmas including Christmas day and have got nothing more than my regular pay.

5. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm tellin ya take the time. They will try to get you to work but the only reward I have seen is having them pay for a meal if your under a load for Christmas and New Years. You may get some money however it is not worth it!!!

6. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    Sorry for being snippy earlier but I found that particular answer kinda patronizing.

Anyway, the situation I'm in the BF doesn't really want me to call or get involved. Don't know why, just a control freak I suppose. Wants to handle it himself but so far he hasn't. So he doesn't want me to call, but he hasn't called or messaged about it and so the least I thought could do was put the question here for an answer.

My bf def doesn't want to drive through Christmas but because he's only taking from the 23rd on as vacation instead of from the 20th on as vacation the bf's teammate though they somehow get rewarded for that. Of course, I don't know where he heard this from and he doesn't have the details as to what exactly the reward is.

In the end we don't plan to stay with Werner anyway unless they come up with a more local job. The bf's gaining a years experience with Werner and this 6 weeks on 1 week off deal and then hopefully by next fall he'll be in a more local company where he's home much more often that every 6 weeks.

He does plan to work through New Years though. Neither of us are very sentimental about that day.

Surprisingly the bf got 4 days off for thanksgiving but was not told to work 4 weeks straight (meaning working through Christmas) for time off at thanksgiving. If we had that choice we would have def picked christmas over thanksgiving, He just requested thanksgiving off and luckily he got it. But we do know that since he got so much time off for thanksgiving it is uncertain that he'd get Christmas off as well. Still no harm in requesting it.

I don't think it's the teammate trying to take away Christmas leave from the bf. If anything the teammate wants it more because he is older and has kids and grand kids. Me and the bf have no kids yet.

Thanks for all the responses. I will tell the bf that I didn't get a concrete answer here about it and so the only option is to qualcomm it.

Texas-Nana and luvmyhubby Thank this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Here's a couple things to consider. X-mas is on a Friday. If a driver has a load that supposedly delivers on Thursday (X-mas eve) with a promise that he gets to go home after the delivery, be ever so careful he doesn't fall into a deep dark hole when the consignee decides to close early and he has to sit for 3 days to deliver the following Monday. Or gets held up with bad weather and misses his appointment. I would advise getting home and being home from the 22nd and leave out the 26th. That way you have the few days BEFORE X-mas day to enjoy the parties and other things that lead up to X-mas day. Getting home X-mas morning isn't the same thing.

8. crabby125s girl

crabby125s girl Heavy Load Member

May 11, 2009
    Yes Allow Me, we thought of that and that's why he requested the 23rd to the 27th. Now even if he's an entire day late for his hometime he'll still be home christmas morning. Assuming he gets the holiday at all!!

9. tellnol437

tellnol437 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Florida
    He'll get the holiday off if he wants it. One of my little borthers drives for Werner and has done so for almost 4 years now. He says the only "reward" you get is $70 additional of "holiday pay" for being dispatched on a major holiday. He did it the first 2 years and got screwed by sitting and not making any money for 2 days each time. He now goes home for Christmas and gets the same "reward" of $70 f0r New Years Day. Difference is, he said you can deliver or pickup a load on December 31st and get to enjoy a day watching the game in his truck, then deliver morning of January 2nd. He said from his previous experience in getting screwed, he will never run Christmas for Werner again. He said "it just ain't worth it."

10. OrionMace

OrionMace Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'm not a team runner, but I made my schedule in such a way that my scheduled hometime falls on Christmas Day and the 26th.
    As for the rest, call Werner and ask, all they can do is lie to you as they have lied to so many others to get them to drive for them at what comes out to less than minimum wage scales.

11. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I thought we were discussing being at home for the holiday, not driver wages or who lies to whom...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.