Chrome Shop Mafia

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Skunk_Truck_2590, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    lord knows I'v spent the equalivilant of a college education on chrome in my days. I don't have a problem with most of what I'v seen on the show other than the interiors. I just find all the high tech junk useless but hey, if it were free then why not! lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    yes, be affraid, be very affraid of wht IS AND ISN'T ALLOWED ON COMPANY TRUCKS.................. most trucking companies want ALL the trucks to look the same, that's why they are COMPANY TRUCKS, not your personal billboard. case in point, i worked for a now defunct company. they had freightliners. on the "older" freightliners, the logo/emblem "Freightliner" was attached to the hoods of the tractors...........with me so far....?? on the new Freightliners that the company bought, the logo/emblem "Freightliner" was NOT on the hoods of those new rigs.....still with me so far...........??

the company ORDERED ALL THE EMBLEMS/LOGOS REMOVED FROM ALL THE OLDER TRUCKS.............this was to make ALL the trucks uniform in appearance..............

i have persoanlly witnessed drivers from former employers buy chromed lug nut covers. only to have the shop remove them and throw them away, and the driver charges with "defacing" company property, a charge that was quickly added to a DAC report.

best advice here, leave your truck alone (ahem, the company truck, as YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE DOOR).........

4. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    yes, but don't they still not even touch the engine/tranny/rears, and sometimes more often than not, those items need major repairs as well......??

its useless to have a good looking truck if the engine is shot. what does the driver say then, "yeah, looks great, but don't run".........

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Actually, in defense of the program, regardless of how little I enjoy it, they do actually do the major mechanical work needed. But through the wonders of the editing process, none of that is ever shown or mentioned. The trucks do roll out mechanically sound, but that isn't "sexy" enough for the producers to include in the final cut of the show.

You don't really think the bike builders actually spend their entire day yelling at each other, do you? The show is edited to include a bunch of that, but out of a week's worth of filming, they may actually yell and fight for under 5-10 minutes. But somehow, that all makes it into the final edit. The producers are setting the lowest possible standard and the majority of people just lap it up.

6. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

oh ok.............i never did see anything regarding the mechanicals. i am thinking in particular, the o/o who was a former military man, and he had a car hauler that had a bad engine. i thought, ghessh, they paint it all up, but the running gear is crapola.............i think that was pretty much about the second show i ever saw, then stopped watching it.

7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, Wiley got on us because I put ultra violet len's on the back of the cab for night light's. Funny, that was a few years ago and I still have them.

8. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i think that most (if not all) state laws are specific as to the color of rear facing lights. red for tail, yellow, or red for turn signals.

any other colors would be against state laws. you may still have the len's but some rookie cop can nail you.

9. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    yup if i recall it was light green and white...

it had a fake twin stick but looked cool

i wouldnt mind if i were a millionaire id let them do a show truck for me but for everyday use i would NOT.

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Actually I dont' watch it. I dont' even have satalite anymore but I have seen a few. and one of the ones I saw was the one with the woman trucker.

A few month later I was reading a trucker mag somewhere and it had an article about how that same woman a few months after her truck got tricked out. Was trying to scratch together the money to have the motor rebuilt. Turns out a dealer somewhere also gave that to her and they used it as a promo for them.
    This would lead me to believe what I had also assumed.... That they do not do the mechanical work. WHich is the major problem I have with the whole idea. Being a mechanic and all around car collector I'm all about the mechanical over the image

11. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    that's right, you need a 'foundation" for the house to sit on..........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.