Clandestine Saftey Monitors

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by wsyrob, May 14, 2014.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I was talking to a driver today who had to sign a report at the terminal from a company who is monitoring our driving out on the road. Be careful out there. That 4 wheeler that just cut you off might be writing you up. Anyone else heard anything about this?

david123abc and XtremeFitness Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CougFan

CougFan Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Oh yeah, all the major carriers contract with them to get reports on OTR drivers. I know both Stevens and Gordon/Heartland use them.

4. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Yeah I knew the companies were out there, just hadn't heard we were using one. You would think they would send out a memo to drivers for a deterrent effect.

5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Not at your house but oh yeah....been going on for years. There are contract companies that do this....sometimes for the carrier and sometimes for the insurance co. with carrier knowledge.

Previous carriers would tell us "they are in the area" blah blah......and we called them the oil police at the crude terminal.

But I'm surprised at your guy.......he's a better carrier than the usual Trimac or Schneider type....has better equipment and better hands......I never think twice about loading next to one of your guys......not like I do a Schneider or a Slay......and he needs this ? You have a rash of oh sheets lately?

Dunno man.....but not a biggie......so and so is hiring right down the street.

JMO

wsyrob Thanks this.
  6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Markel Safety Services have been around since the 50's. They are supposed to observe you for at least 3 miles in traffic before filling out a report. They are not supposed to hinder your driving. They are also supposed to display a sign on their doors as to who they work for.
    Now, i did have one cut me off as he tried to exit off I-44 just west of Springfield, MO. I jotted down the phone number off his sign and called in on him. I also sent a QC message to our safety dept. advising them of his actions.
    I was told a couple of weeks later that he had been fired. He had submitted a report stating i had tried to run him off the road, except he said it was over by Joplin, at the time he cut me off. I never went as far as Joplin. I had picked up a load at the caves in Springfield at went back east. My QC confirmed my story and hung him.
    There are several companies that do this and 99.9% of the time they are honest. They are just observing your driving habits. Drive like you are supposed to and you will have no problems.

hal380, heyns57, wsyrob and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. wsyrob

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Doesn't really bother me. Just curious. I would rather have this than cameras in the trucks.

Actually from a safety standpoint we have been pretty good. Rollovers are way down from where they were when I started. We just won the National Tank Truck Carriers Association Heil award. Our safety man won the award as well. Accident rate is .31 per million miles.

8. DeadArmadillo

DeadArmadillo Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Sidnal, Inc. out of Clearwater, FL. is the spinoff Markel. Bob Landis runs it......did we all catch that, Landis spelled backwards is.....

http://www.sidnal.net/

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Darling's Keyline Freight used Markel in the 1970's. If our logs matched the Markel report and we were within the speed limit, we got points toward free uniform jackets, shirts, and caps. During a layoff while driving for Refrigerated, I left my Keyline jacket hanging on a nail in some warehouse down south. I still miss it.

10. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    If they cut me off, and I ### end them it's my fault. Wonder what they'd put on the report then??

11. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I hadn't heard anything like that before now. Do you know where the driver was when he was monitored?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.