Class 1 Driver training funding in BC?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by csillakormendi, Aug 27, 2014.

1. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    Its pretty funny how all these guys say "dont do it" or "its the worst job ever out there" yada yada yada... Do you guys really think anyone is gonna give you any credibility whatsoever if you are telling someone to run from an industry you are still involved in, and are obviously unwilling to change it...??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    I've done it long enough and am making good money. I see what a majority of new drivers are making today and wouldn't get out of bed for those wages.

upnorthwpg Thanks this.
  4. TractorTrailer

TractorTrailer Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Surrey, BC
    Get your licence as cheaply as you can. There is no employability advantage to taking the most expensive courses-I know I took one. Make sure your abstract is clean or you will have to work for a bottomfeeder.
    Try swamping for a rig moving company, they're all looking for young people. You'll get paid as you learn.
    I still like trucking even though the pay isn't great,(get a cheap dash cam-throw videos on YouTube for extra $$),and the hours are long. Well at least I like to drive the truck - everything else kinda sucks.
    Good luck to you.

5. CbarM

CbarM Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Irvine, AB
    The pay isnt great you say?? Why is that? I am making more money now then I ever have hauling tandem vans n reefers in the western half... Lovin it!!

6. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia

Yeah, you'll still make more than McDonalds.........

7. TractorTrailer

TractorTrailer Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Surrey, BC
    I worked for a rig moving company in my 20's in Grande Prairie as a swamper. Made more money as a swamper than I make now in my 40's as a driver of vans,reefers,containers etc.

It's all relative C-man.

8. Grimm 1

Grimm 1 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2014
    I have a union job. The day I no longer drive the truck I can move into a "g" class position making the same money. I work local, highway guys don't make what I do.

Most drivers in the GTA are making $16-$18 an hour with no overtime. You talk of change but it is a slow process. Drivers need to be constantly told that they are worth more. You can tell them but others say "you'll never get $25/hr.....no one will pay it and you'll never get overtime either". Yet these same people wether that be Drivers or operations people belly up to the pump over the years and watch the price of feul quadruple.

If companies, shippers and brokers are willing to pay the feul bill Iam sure they will be willing to pay the drivers.unfortunately drivers are a long way away from believing that their license is actually worth something.

Until drivers can earn a living wage on 40hours a week I will always tell people to stay away from driving. 60 grand for 60 hours is a dog #### way to live.

TractorTrailer Thanks this.
  9. Aussom

Aussom Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I make $14,000/month running truck short hauls. Great money In moving logs, cars and earth. Anyone who tells you there is no money to be made obviously is a tool or doing long haul trucking. My rig cost me $20,000 and paid itself off in 2 short months. Stay away from long haul where you get paid competitive wages per km. Hourly wages or per load is where it's at. My truck hauls logs at $250/load and I can do 4 a day. Or when I pull gravel, I get $75/load and can wind off 10-15 loads a day. Alberta is a fraction of the cost for class 1 training. I believe the 40 hour course is about $2000. Downside is you lack in Mountain driving experience. Hope this helps anyone looking to get their license. As for kelowna, there are 22 companies that hire green drivers fresh out of school. Nationally, companies like H&R, Bison, Can west, Peter Bros, Clark, Day & Ross, all hire rookie drivers fresh out of school. They just ask you to be a swamper at an hourly wage to start. Good luck

10. 11Windy

11Windy Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Have you ever been on EI or in the last three years, than you are considered reach back, your Class 1 or 3 will be paid in full, but you need to go through a little marketing to be eligible, they just want you to prove your really interested in this career choice. Your need to talk to a career counselor at job resource bc

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.