Class A dump truck driver question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bmy88, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Bmy88

Bmy88 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2022
    I have my class A license, but with little experience. I currently have been with a state doh for about 4 years driving dump truck and some tilt airbrake trailer experience. My question is when companies ask for 3 years tractor trailer experience could I use my dump truck air brake trailer as experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Yes. The only difference is the coupling device. Yours is a pintle and the other is a 5th wheel. Off track is different but if can back up that truck and trailer you can back up a semi.

Speedy356 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You can try. At some point when a prospective employer verifies your current employment, the question might come up....what kind of equipment has he operated ?

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    All that matters is "Class A" experience. If that dump were Class B with the occasional trailer making it a Class A, it probably won't count. But if it were usually hauling a trailer in excess of $10,000 lbs GVWR, then its counted as Class A experience.

6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Class b experience, which does help, but still not a class a.

for smaller companies Atleast, megas will just laugh at you and say you have no experience and try to start you at the bottom, (don’t do that)

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    It all depends #1 on the insurance requirements and #2 how much the carrier can bend said requirements...

#1 MOST insurance companies look for two years experience in like equpment.

A savi broker that understands the trucking company would work to bounce 'grey' applicants off one of the underwriters. The guy I used to work with wouldn't go with 100% dump truck/ > 10K tagalong but would have fought for a guy with 15 months tractor trailer experience and the remainder with the tagalong.

#2 sometimes the carrier will overlook a month or two for a soild candidate.

In the good 'ole days a smaller company would road test a guy and go from there. Can't do that anymore; insurance rules unles you are a self-insured 'mega'

8. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Most want otr. And semi.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.