Clear Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by PAUL301, Mar 15, 2018.

1. PAUL301

PAUL301 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    I have a load to Arizona, and somewhere along the line I heard Clear Tail lights are illegal. The trailer has red Lenses, the tractor LED clear lenses but they light red when applied. Just looking for clarity.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Hopefully someone will know AZ's code, but as far as FMCSA is concerned there is no mention of which part of the light has to be red, just that the light as a whole must shine red.

Here is the regs:
    eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

4. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    To my understanding the light must shine red, the lens can be clear, however if you are using a light/reflector combination the lens must also be red.

However my interpretations can be superseded by someone more knowledgeable than I, just like the FMCSA and DOT are always superseding interpretations in their book of law. I did just get a new copy of said book and can take a look in it in the morning. I can navigate that book a whole lot easier than their website.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Newer cars have em too.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    SAE and us dot standards are only concern with the light being active, the SAE does the specs for the us dot and manufacturers follow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.