Click Click Boom!!!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Goodysnap, May 14, 2020.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Or cracked head from bad tuning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DeereRunner97

DeereRunner97 Medium Load Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    How do you bypass the compressor? If I dropped the liner, how quickly would coolant show up in my oil?

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017

Temporary remove the coolant lines from the air compressor and either cap them or loop them back to the engine. Rerun to see if still overpressure. Compression leaking into coolant will not normally yield coolant in the oil. When the cylinder liner drops the compression loses its seal on the fire ring and the compression takes the path of least resistance.

Dropped liner= overhaul.

5. DeereRunner97

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    Thank you for the help. I’m going to limp it back home and run those tests

650cat425 and Goodysnap Thank this.
  6. DeereRunner97

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    Would a dropped liner cause an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold?

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    No.

Is it #2 or #5?

Gaskets are borderline regular maintenance. They crack and they leak......often.

8. DeereRunner97

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    I haven’t had a chance to pull them off yet and look. I just noticed a change exhaust tone when I get in the throttle like there’s a leak. If the liner dropped, would I loose oil pressure? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it out

650cat425 Thanks this.
  9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I dont know Cummins very well but am familiar with cat. Different but the same. Fairly common issue with cats to have a liner sink and blow headgasket. Will pressurize the cooling system and blow antifreeze out the overflow hose. Will have no other symptoms other than that. Inran mine that way for a few months just topping of the antifreeze every few days. The headgasket did eventually blow severely and then i started pouring water into the cylinder, out the exhaust and getting in the oil. Air compressor can be the cause for pressure in the cooling system but it's fairly rare but needs to be checked. Bypass the water to compressor to be sure but you can just check when the compressor is unloaded( meaning not building air) such as when it pops off at 120 psi or whatever the cut off is and it isn't making pressure. To check for pressure in system take the hose from the overflow and put the end in a bottle of water. If it bubbles like crazy you have issues.

DeereRunner97 Thanks this.
  10. DeereRunner97

Apr 18, 2019
    Ostrander, Ohio
    Thank you for the advice as well. I’m just a little nervous because I don’t want to have to call a wrecker. All my gauges read as if nothing is going on. I stopped for my thirty and coolant was pouring out the overflow. I shut the truck off for about fifteen minutes during my thirty. Ran a few more hours after that and just parked, nothing pouring out. It’s back to where it was in the picture I attached earlier.

11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Check out @pushbroom post #120 in this thread.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.