Close call

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jumbo, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I'll bet that woke you up big time.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    No one has ever received a ticket or lost their load by using "too many" chains or straps....

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Sure I can. I was flatbedding....bobtailing to a customer to pick up a load. I KNEW my tractor was 12' tall at the stacks and the amber light on the roof, so when I saw the 12'8" clearance sign, I didn't think twice about rolling under...

...until I heard that "thunk".

My heart raced as I wondered what I just tore up on this brand new truck (I got in it with only 400 miles on the odometer...and I hadn't had it very long)....until I remembered that my CB antennas still reached 13'6". Sure enough, when I stopped, there was no damage to the truck....but for those few moments....:biggrin_25521:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm
    You should have had at least 3 straps or chains on that 20 foot long piece. It goes up from there, depending upon the weight of the cargo being secured...but that is the MINIMUM required.

5. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    On my way home Friday I spotted two flatbed trucks from a local company pulled over to the side of the road with "DOT Tom" parked behind them. Ten bundles of lumber on each truck (three in a pyramid on each end with two side by side in the center ) with................ONE strap over each pile. :biggrin_2555: First driver was ticketed for speeding and insecure load, second truck ticketed for following too close and insecure load. People are just stupid and lazy.

6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Exactly my fear. More and more of this type of carelessness is coming down the pike.

7. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Thank you bulldog, I should've thrown a strap over the middle, It didnt move any on me and was a nice solid load, but I'm not looking to get into a bind with the law.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Back when I was flatbedding (dang...that was 7 years ago already), the first 2 straps had to be within 2 feet of each other...and then another strap every 10 feet. I usually went every 8 feet with the rest of the straps because there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to load securement. Don't know if that has changed or not, but 2 in the 1st 10 feet with a strap every 10 feet thereafter sounds pretty similar.

9. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    re OP, if he had four pipes layed down the middle of his trailer each 8-10' long, 2 straps on each is perfectly adequate. That would be a total of 8 straps.

Granted it would be easier to load the pipes side by side. One after the other is an odd way to load pipe!

10. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    I hate that, I always ask which one just in case it is me.

11. SSgTom

SSgTom Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Coxsackie,NY
    Hey, but it keeps everyone on their toes, doesn't it?:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.