Cluster, brake lights stuck on!!

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Salteedogg, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Salteedogg

Salteedogg Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    1. i have a problem with a 2012 Peterbilt tractor, the cluster, radio, and brake lights get stuck on even though no key is in ignition. No matter what you press nothing turns them off. I have been using the master disconnect to kill power and usually it would temporarily fix my issue. Well today, it was not resetting! I left disconnect off for an hour and as soon as I turned it on, you can see the brake lights and cluster light up. I have checked fuses and relays, everything has checked out, I even disconnected the ignition switch and it made no difference. What else can I try? I’m thinking glitch in the ecm?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Don’t know if this will help or not but on my Freightliner I had that problem.
    For me it was my power window switch had gotten water in it because I left the window down part way when it was raining.
    The Freightliner has live power to the window switch and the bottom of the switch corroded from the water creating a cross connection path to the lighted part of the switch which in turn back fed and powered up all the dash lights and I was unable to turn them off.
    Hope this info can be of some use.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Start pulling fuses and see when everything powers off. I had a qualcomm that was wired into the cigarette lighter and backfeeding power to the fuseboard.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  5. Salteedogg

Jan 18, 2018
    Ok found the culprit, just unsure how to fix it. I unplugged the brake light switch and lights went off. I tested switch and all is good. Turns out, when I remove air line from switch, air is coming out this line. I’m assuming the plunger in the bendix is sticking but I’m not sure how to fix it. I read you can spray wd40 but I don’t see exactly we’re to spray. The pedal seems to be work normal. Any ideas?

6. Salteedogg

Jan 18, 2018
    Truck is nightmare! I'm lost at this point. I took the Bendix out the brake pedal is connected too, and re sealed it. Put back together and problem still their. So I traced the brake light sensor air line, it went to a different Bendix right behind brake Bendix. I resealed this too and problem still not fixed... Anybody got any suggestions? It's blowing alot of air out this brake light switch air line.

7. Salteedogg

Jan 18, 2018
    I guess I’m going to inspect relay valve next. Anyone know how many and were is it located?

8. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    What is the last six of your s/n. I can get you a plumbing schematic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.