clutch fan problems

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by truckerbangin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. truckerbangin

truckerbangin Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Good day all i my engine fan is on all the time the solenoid works fine but the fan clutch wont disengage. is there any other ways to test the fan clutch to see if its bad?

Shadowhawxzzz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Helowrenchturn2

Helowrenchturn2 Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Do you hear air coming out of the hub with the key on? If so, the seal inside is busted. You can get a rebuild kit for about $100. I tried to do mine but couldn't get it apart, ended up buying a new one for $750.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi truckerbang, with the engine off( duh) the fan should spin freely. Could be a seized bearing in the hub.

5. JAYRODPA

JAYRODPA Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry pa
    did you check to see if you have a manual switch for the fan. it may be on or stuck on. if that's not it do what semi retired said. the clutch should spin freely with the engine off. if not the bearing could be froze.

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I wonder what the definition of solenoid works fine is? I also wonder what year everyone's trucks are answering and asking questions? Assuming his is the same as ours could be incorrect. Manufactures change standard equipment suppliers occasionally and companies can order nonstandard equipment. What brand is the fan clutch, Hayden, Horton, Kysor, Rockford, other? It sounds like this clutch is controlled by air and the air by electric solenoids. Some air controlled clutches use air to disengage them and others are air engaged. Regardless of all of that the fan clutch should engage or disengage with air application, of course engine off, shop air or truck air. Then you know if you have a clutch or a control system problem.

tommygun58 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Helowrenchturn2

Apr 23, 2013
    Volvo has never built a d12 with a fan clutch that uses air to engage it. So, either the solenoid is not sending air, the orings in the clutch are shot leaking air and I guess it's possible that there could be a blockage in the line.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm a bit confused.

Where did you get Volvo and D12 from any of the conversations above?

I'd like to add for the OP.

I had a similar problem with mine. I have a C15 in my Columbia. My fan was staying on all the time as well. How ever,.. when I turned on the A/C,.. the fan magically returned to normal,.. only turning on when it was supposed to. Turn the A/C off and the fan would come on soon after and stay stuck on. Turned out to be the A/C high pressure switch. Replaced and the fan now works as it should.

Hurst

9. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    You need special tools to press seals.

10. Helowrenchturn2

Apr 23, 2013
    My bad. Got this confused with another thread I had been reading. Sorry

11. Helowrenchturn2

Apr 23, 2013
    Bearings yes, seals no. And the bearings can be put in without a press but it's a pain in the rump. I'm referring to the horton druvaster series which is on d12's but, again, I was confused about the thread I posted in. Here's a video on rebuilding a drive master. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDpQHlExs4

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.