Clutch knee?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Maddog2020, Jan 12, 2008.

1. The clutch in a truck is quite a bit stiffer than in a regular car. The number I came across is 60-70lbs. (never checked it myself.) It DOES create some problems, in bumper t bumper traffic, but with time, it gets better.
    The biggest bit of advice I'd give is to NOT NOT go with an autoshift company. It's attractive but will severely limit yur employability. Most companies don't use them, and if they hear you've driven autoshift, will auto-dump your application.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    70% of Averitt Express trucks are automatic.

4. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

the auto restriction must be a missouri thing then however as said before an auto will deffinitly limit your employment options as most places use manual

5. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    So, if someone starts on an automatic and drives for 3 months, let’s say, then decides to move to a manual, would he/she have to take a refresher course and than start as a student in training with the new company?

6. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

that would vary from company to company but if you cant drive there trucks and they arnt a training company (swift werner sni etc) they might say go some where else, depends on the company.

7. thefuture

thefuture Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Spokane, wa
    maddog2020 I see that your from Idaho. I live in spokane. Where are you going to get your cdl?

8. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    ahhh the auto shift.... yet a side effect of these beast (unintended by the manufacturer) is when a new driver gets used to them - they are likely to stay with their crummy company because they are intimidated to venture on and work for a company with pure manuals...

:biggrin_25524:

9. 1happywoman

1happywoman Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have some left chondropatellar pain. (Medical-ese for "my left knee hurts" . I messed up my knee when I was younger and didn't do anything about it then, so now I'm paying the price.) I was taking more and more ibuprofen and didn't think that was such a good idea, so I decided to give glucosamine and chondroitin a try. It takes several weeks of consistantly taking it, and I am pretty skeptical when it comes to OTC remedies like that, but it really does seem to help. It seemed to work pretty well for my son's Rottweiler, too. He (the dog) blew a knee and had to have surgery, and the vet recommended it for him to keep his knee from getting sore and stiff.

10. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    I have pretty crappy knees... - and do not have any problems with driving..

I float gears BTW... dunno - one builds up their clutch strength over time...

just like if I hung drywall for a living - my first few months would hurt like hell..

11. Maddog2020

Maddog2020 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Coeur d"Alene, ID
    Hi thefuture,

I'm thinking about attending DTS Trans-System school which is somehow affiliated with Spokane Comunity College. They're in Spokane Valley somewhere. I told them that I would like to visit the school before I make any decisions. They said that they would like that. They also stated that if I am willing to go OTR for one year that they would place me with a company an guarantee me a job. I am going to ask them if I have to take the job with the company that they offer, or if they will give me more than one company to choose from.
    Where did you get training?

As far as 1happywoman's suggestion goes regarding the glucosamine and chondroitin goes... I'll definately give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.