Clutch or Trans causing my speedometer fluctuate under full load?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by awright, Dec 23, 2018.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Does your truck shake when you depress clutch, rolling and sitting?
    Good luck finding the problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. awright

awright Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes It shakes when parked, shakes with clutch depressed or engaged. Just seems to change a bit under different conditions. Shake does seem to continue when I push clutch and coast, untill speed drops a bit. I have even noticed the shake gets a bit more aggressive when I am slowing down using the jake brake.

4. awright

Dec 20, 2016
    Still looking for the cause of my frustration. I was told yesterday by a tech that I am experiencing "torque shudder". Does anyone have any experience with this, could this really be aggressive enough to make my speedometer jump around when shuddering. I have more hp and torque than factory, but I didn't think it was tuned to that much extreme. I still think I have a mechanical balance issue. I feel a shake at idle, and as I raise the throttle, things just seem to shake at different rpms. My mirrors shake at most all rpms and seem to be even worse in reverse, which I feel is odd.

5. Phennick

Phennick Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Ft Eustis, VA
    Disclaimer upfront, I'm still new to trucks. I have not been in them much. But, I have worked on manual driver diesel trucks for 12 years now and my day job is troubleshooting and fixing Apache helicopters in the army. We deal with vibrations in a totally different light. Vibrations are everything to us so I was drawn to your post. After everything I have read, I've drawn a few conclusions. First and foremost it does not sound like the problem is directly related to your drivetrain (transmission, axels, driveshafts) mainly due to the fact that you are getting the same vibrations with the clutch in. This negates most of your drivetrain. Second you said it is getting the vibration at idle and is worse with your jake on. I think you may be looking at something engine related. You said an overhaul was recently done on it. It could be something like a part installed incorrectly. Something that wasn't torqued all the way and coming loose or not installed correctly. Also could have been a bad part put back in. I can't even tell you how many times I have gotten a part from the factory, installed it, and then the #### thing didn't work right. So in conclusion, I would take a good look at your engine again. Check your mounts. Re-torque the mounts to proper specification. Have your oil checked to see if you have any premature bearing wear. Maybe you have an injector miss firing. Like I said, don't work on big rigs, but from what you said as a mechanic this is where I would be looking.

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  6. awright

Dec 20, 2016
    Thanks for everyone's ideas! I did go back into the shop again, and as usual " They Know What i am feeling, but they just can't find it." They say " It must be due to the High Horsepower" Im not sold. My mirrors shake bad empty or loaded moving or not moving. I only drive 64 mph to try for best fuel mileage. The mirrors even shake when I am in reverse trying to back in. ( usually worse than in forward gears) Could my PTO box have something bent in it. The shop did say they sent it away to be rebuilt when my transmission was changed, but the PTO was not balanced. I don't know if a PTO box can be balanced. Is my "New" flywheel got something out of balance? Maybe my Moto Mirrors are just worn out. I don't think thats it either, because I can see the cab brackets shake also. Maybe I am just crazy, but I see, feel, and hear something!

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Your Pto isn't engaged all the time is it? When not engaged it wouldn't cause an issue.

Do you have after market parts in the motor for that 700hp, cam or Injectors? I'd try a stock flash file in the ecm maybe see if that changes it

8. awright

Dec 20, 2016
    No, PTO is only engaged when I am pumping off. I do not know the internals of an Eaton 18 speed transmission, but I had a guy in the past tell me there are still parts/shaft that is spinning inside the PTO box even when not engaged. I have no idea, and hope someone will set me strait on this issue, and then I could eliminate one part. No aftermarket cam or injectors. Just exhaust manifold and single turbo and a tune. I have thought about the ecm being an issue, maybe the tune didn't mix well with my original. I will try and locate a stock 625hp ecm and see if I can give it a try.

Thanks for Ideas

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The PTO drive gear is always driven when the countershafts are spinning. The PTO will not turn when the truck is stopped with the clutch in. Its only when you engage the PTO that you lock the drive gear to the PTO output.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  10. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    If it shakes when you are parked, it is not a clutch issue, or transmission etc. Does the engine vary its speed abruptly? CAN YOU MAKE IT SHAKE same way by pressing the gas pedal?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  11. awright

Dec 20, 2016

Well I am still at this crazy issue. Does anyone know if an out of balance clutch, or flywheel could make a cat engine run like it is out of timing. This thing feels that way, and is especially noticeable when in reverse. At this time the mirrors are shaking at their worst also. Or do I have an ECM tune problem?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.