Clutch Sticks when fully depressed

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MTMAUS, Mar 20, 2022.

1. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Hey, I had a new clutch installed about 30,000km ago, on my international 9200i, with Isx, when I press the clutch all the way to the floor to engage the clutch brake, you can feel the pedal grab, it definitely feels like it's in the pedal, but maybe its misleading.

When you release it, the pedal grabs for a second and then the pedal pops out, and returns to the normal spot.

Jake's and cruise control all work, and pedal works fine, clutch brake works fine.

I have 1.5 inch free play and 1 inch at throw out bearing.

It feels like it's in the pedal area, would it be something like the spring? The spring does seem easy to push on, you can easily compress the spring with your fingers and it does move around alot.

Is the spring responsible for returning the clutch pedal when its fully compressed? I thought it was just more so the pedal went fully up?

Before I start pulling it apart, does this seem like the correct area?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Most of the time there is about enough room to get a pencil in between throw out and pressure plate when it's adj. Correctly?

4. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    I Always use a 1/2 inch Drill bit when adjusting Mine..
    @MTMAUS Is it a Cable or linkage setup??

5. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    To me it sounds like a linkage problem, like a bel crank overtraveling, or a bad angle in the linkage. 3/8” to 1/2” at the throw out should give you 3/4” to an 1” free play at the pedal. If I had to guess I’d say someone tried to adjust the clutch with the linkage at some point, and the new clutch and throw out drove an angle out somewhere as a result.

6. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    It's a linkage system.

What's the best way way to adjust the linkage? I think I saw 5-6 adjustment points, how do I find the culprit without messing up everything.

7. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia

I agree with all of the Above..

Rideandrepair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It's not an adjustment problem. Something is worn out.

When they put in the new clutch, did they also use all the parts in an install kit? Did they even use an install kit? It comes with a new fork, new bushings, new input shaft, ect.

Also, has this been going on the whole time, or just recently? You said they replaced the clutch 30,000 km ago. So did it start then, or recently? How often do you grease the fork bushings?

9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Been years since I worked on a 9200i, but like most IH I believe the linkage joints are just clevis pins and holes drilled in brackets that get pretty worn out. I remember having to weld many holes shut and re-drill to get the slop out of our old 2674 Internationals. You want 1/2" between release bearing and clutch brake first, then set the 1/8" between fork and release bearing. I somewhat remember a clevis near the firewall that could be adjusted to compensate for some of the wear.

10. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    For it all to work right you have to find the correct at rest position of the belcranks in the linkage and make the rod lengths fit that. If everything is right in the linkage correct adjustment at the clutch should give you proper pedal travel and free play.

haycarter and spsauerland Thank this.
  11. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    There are grease fittings on both sides of the bell housing and on the bellcrank.
    The one on the bellcrank get overlooked quite often. I like to use chain lube
    on the clevis pins as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.