Clutch won’t adjust

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dillydog24, Aug 3, 2021.

1. msh

msh Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Los Angeles, CA
    feldsforever and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dillydog24

dillydog24 Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2020
    What happens if I remove the two bolts holding the adjustment bolt?

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You will remove the adjuster. The adjuster just has a gear that turns the adjusting wheel inside the clutch. The adjuster is replacable seporate, but they dont often fail. Your issue is most likely deeper.

feldsforever, msh and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. dillydog24

Jun 8, 2020
    Okay! Thank you!

feldsforever and Goodysnap Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was having the exact same isssue. Checked the adjuster, it was good. My Linkage had gotten all out of wack, adjustment wise. I kept screwing around with it, keeping it working. When I finally replaced the Clutch, it was completely worn out. Barely any friction on 1/3 of the disc. Surprised it wasn’t slipping more. Had to baby it home. Might want to look at Eaton new clutch adjustment procedure. Start from scratch. Adjusting the clutch to spec. You can back it off also. Once clutch is adjusted with 1/2” gap, check freeplay. Might need to adjust linkage to get 1/4” gap at fork, for proper freeplay. I did this a couple times, after having linkage problems, due to motor mounts being bad. That’s on my Freightliner. Different set up I believe than Pete’s. It’s worth a shot. Twice I had no clutch and no freeplay. Thought for sure clutch was shot. After messing around with it, I’d find a happy spot. Clutch would work fine, though my 1/2” gap was way too much. Maybe they didn’t set it up right, or changed some linkage parts, and adjusted clutch to match, instead of adjusting linkage to match the clutch. That was my mistake. Changed a linkage part, then adjusted clutch to match. Ended up over adjusting clutch, which lessens the clamping force, and will cause it to slip.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    feldsforever and msh Thank this.
  7. dillydog24

Jun 8, 2020
    Update: took the adjuster bolt off, found that half the teeth are missing off the bolt and the teeth on the ring are rounded off where the adjuster sits. My guess some one tried to adjust it without the pedal pushed in?

Rideandrepair and feldsforever Thank this.
  8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I'm glad you did that before running to a shop. What's next, as in what does that connect too? Could the searing of the teeth affect the next piece?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Go old school and try to turn adjuster ring with a bar. You probably still need a new clutch.

haycarter, Goodysnap and msh Thank this.
  11. dillydog24

Jun 8, 2020
    Indicator tab shows about ¾ of life left. The ring inside was seized. Took a air chisel and hammered the clutch housing. And used a pry bar to turn the ring inside the clutch. We had to get the engine turned over just right so we could get the bar in there. Now that we have good teeth in view I’m going to replace the adjuster bolt that way next time I can use it like your supposed too. (Famous last words). Any one know where you could get just the bolt?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.