CN Memphis

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Voltrucker, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Voltrucker

Voltrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    West TN
    Hey all...my dad pulls containers from Memphis to the Nashville area every day and on some days I'm off I will ride with him. So today we ran a load to North Nashville then we went back to Memphis to the UP to drop the empty then across the river to the CN for his tomorrow load. Finally the story! I've been to CN before with him several times with no problems until today. We was a bob tail so we go straight to the gate, well the "tire kicker" waved us down and told my dad that he wanted to see my CDL. Dad said "he isn't my team partner he's just a rider" the guy says "well he has to get out of the truck and stay at the gate if he doesn't have a CDL" at this point I'm pretty upset because it is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I get out and stand on the curb away from the traffic coming through but it isn't good enough for the guy he then tells me I can't stand there that I have to go sit by the guard shack. I wait for dad to come back through the gate and I get back in the truck then we take off headed home. He then tells me everytime he comes through there that guy is always giving him a hard time about something. I'm sure other people here knows who I'm talking about just by me describing this guy. Question is, is that one of CN's rules or is it one of that jack ##### rules?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Don't know what CN policy is but I had that happen to me as a teen. Back when safety was really starting to get pushed in the early 2000's. No hard hat, glasses and boots meant you couldn't be out in the mill yard. Unfortunately you weren't allowed to sit in the truck while you were unloaded either (failure of the stacker meant your entire load of logs could fall down on to your truck). I used to have to sit and wait in the scalehouse if I forgot my gear at home. Definitely sucked.

4. eugene572

eugene572 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2015
    HI. I ran intermodal in Memphis for 3yrs and I know exactly who ur talking about. He does seem like he's on his period every day, but he's only enforcing the rules. I pulled in one Saturday morning with my wife in the front seat and a different guy told me she had to get out and wait in that same guard shack until I came back out. No rail or container yard wants to be responsible for non cdl holders possibly getting hurt or killed. Lawsuits! From then on when I had a passenger with me and I entered any rail or container yard, I made them go into sleeper and close curtains. Out of site out of mine right?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.